What's new

utility room for media (1 Viewer)

dnbroker

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Dear Gents,

Please assist me with ideas on how to move media to utility room and only see a TV in living room.

How can I put all of the electronics in the closet or even another room?

I would greatly appreciate your advice on how to implement it properly.

I have an utility/lobby area right behind a TV wall and want to move all media to this utility room to see nothing except the screen.

The major concern is how to remotely control channels, dvd, music..

I searched through youtube and came across some sort of remote control amplifier but do not understand how they work and whether it is practical:

They used so called Next Generation Remote Control Extender:

"

All of the electronics can be in the closet or even another room.

Its a battery transmitter you can put in your remote and it sends a signal to receiver that is next to your electronics. You can do this with as many remote controls and electronic devices as you want.

This is what you'll need to get this done.
1.Belkin SurgeCube Surge Protector, 1-Outlet Home Series ($13.40) Amazon.com
2. Next Generation Remote Control Extender ($30.90) Amazon.com
3. 8 inch cable ties ($3.00) Home Depot in the electrical department

"

Another product to do this trick:

please share your thoughts and experience.

I will also appreciate your design how to achieve what I want and whether it is practical.

I will appreciate also links and photos.

Thanks a lot!

/ John

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Remote - Look into the Harmony models. The 890 is an RF to IR model. If you don't want to spend that much then a $25 RF remote extender works 99% of the time.

Since you want to store your electronics on the wall behind the TV, it's easy. Knock holes through the wall board to run the wires. If you want to make it look nice, there are hundreds of different wall plates available.

dnbroker

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Thanks for your reply.

What would you recommend

1) IR repeater Xantech, Buffalo, Hot link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHZ_REAARe4&feature=related
2) Harmony 890

3) Infrared Repeater IR Repeater - iAutomate.com

Or you can recommend a better option.

I am on construction phase and want to invest in something reliable and solid.

I also have a concern how to operate a PlayStation or Xbox in front of a TV while hiding everything else in the closet behind TV.

Do I only need to connect a PS to TV directly or I will also need some wire to go to a centralized receiver/center to the closet behind the wall as well?

How about Apple TV in the living room?

The idea is to have an option to place media devices either in the closet behind TV or in the living room and still have all control.

Do I understand correctly that I will have to connect media devices in the living room not only to TV but also to receiver/center in the closed?

Additionally, How can I hide a subwoofer and not to place it below a TV.

I will do in ceiling speakers but as I got it a subwoofer must be standalone?

Thanks for your advice!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can't beat the Harmony. I have 2 of the 880 models which are the IR only versions of the 890. I should have gone with the 890.

The PS3 will require an IR to bluetooth adapter from Harmony.

It depends on if you want the PS3 and Xbox audio to run through the sound system.

Subs should be placed where they sound the best. Sometimes that makes them conspicuous. You can also disguise large ones as end tables. You can go custom and build an IB sub. You already have a media closet behind your listening room.

Ceiling speakers are the worst choice for a sound system.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
John,

As your system becomes more sophisticated and with a variety of devices and rooms, you need to get away from thinking of the TV as the center of the system. Really, the A/V receiver is the "hub" and the TV serves simply as a monitor.

Audio and video signals from all your devices are routed into the receiver where all the audio/video switching is done. From there, the audio is sent out to the speakers (or external amps for additional zones) and the video is sent out to the TV (or in a distributed system, perhaps a video splitter that feeds a variety of devices).

So in the end, the ONLY thing you will likely have running to the TV is a single HDMI cable from the A/V receiver. Nothing else. The wiring from media room to TV, then, becomes relatively simple.

This sort of setup is a departure from what you may be used to, but it is vastly easier to connect and to operate than a system wired the "other" way. Not to mention, connecting things this way is the best way to maximize performance, since most TVs out there won't pass any digital surround audio from any externally connected devices, anyway.

With this in mind, it will be important to choose a receiver that has enough connections for the devices you have or are planning to have in the future.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I agree with everything said here so far, but keep in mind that there are some devices you might not want to hide, things you need to access like Blu-ray or DVD players, Game consoles etc. There are some things like a receiver, cable or sat box that you hardly ever need to access. These can be tucked away somewhere, but I would be tempted to keep anything you need to load and unload closer. I have done some jobs where we put a rack in the wall, downside you can still see it, and others where we tucked the cable box, receiver, etc in a closet outside the room and the blu-ray player and Wii in a built in cabinet under the wall mounted TV. We used MDF for the door and textured and painted to to match the wall, used internal hinges and a spring loaded magnetic latch, so you could see the outline around the door, but the door blended in with the wall. It kept all the gear they needed to access handy but hidden.

dnbroker

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Adam,

Can you share some photos of your door.

Your solution with hidden door is interesting.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks