UT 2003 = Awesome

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rock, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

There are just TOO MANY good games out right now for all platforms. Let me just say that.

One of those "too many" is Unreal Tournament 2003, released today for the PC.

I enjoyed Unreal Tournament (the original) immensely, even though I rarely played over the internet, and the improvements that have been made in UT2003 are incredible. There are some changes I don't quite understand (why did they ditch some of the weapons and the gameplay mode called Assault), but overall, I'm really enjoying it. The AI controlled bots in single player are much smarter, and the graphics and animations are awesome.

For those of you wondering if you should get it or not, the answer is yes, you should.

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Yeah, I really will miss Assault. I LOVE assault. Oh well.
    So, it is out today? No way! Been too busy at work, and the Calgary Film Fest starts tomorrow. What horrible timing. [​IMG]

3. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

I found UT 2003 at a local store yesterday (Sunday) but no Hitman 2 [​IMG]
    So I picked up UT and I've been playing Single player most of the day. Its a lot of fun. Probably give multiplayer a try tonight or tomorrow...
    JQ

4. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Been playing the demo for about an hour. Very nice.

5. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

I'm addicted to Bombing Run, but only with LowGrav and InstaGib, makes it so intense. Sigh, guess I'll have to pick it up.

6. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

Hmm--I've been looking, but I can't really confirm--is UT2K3 missing the sniper rifle? I really hope not--it's definitely my favorite weapon.

A friend of mine and I used to play UT on a LAN, some times head-to-head, and sometimes against others online. One of the coolest games we'd play is essentially a sniper's deathmatch, and we got good at finding new inventive places to snipe from. Sometimes frustrating, but it paid off when we'd find where the other is hiding (similar to the movie Enemy at the Gates).

Anyway, what's the word on the sniper rifle?

7. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

8. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

I picked it up last night and have had one heck of a time trying to get it to run right. Even updated to the latest video drivers and still have problems.
    I have:
    Windows 98
    AMD 1.7Ghz XP
    256Mb RAM
    20Gb HD
    ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon (32Mb)
    and it's just not enough to run it at 1024x768 @ 32M. Have to run it @ 800x600 @ 16M with all details set to normal. This thing is a hog. But that painter gun is waaay cool! Get away, far far away! [​IMG]

9. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

10. Jay_Sharp

Jay_Sharp Stunt Coordinator

Forget UT. Now the new Unreal Editor included with it...that's something to get excited about. Drool.

11. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

12. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I been playing the demo off and on, overall it's a pretty good game. However, the day has come where a P3 1Ghz is no longer good enough. [​IMG] The game runs well on my system, but not as well as I would like.
    Setup:
    WinXP Pro
    P3 1Ghz
    512MB RAM
    GeForce4 TI 4200 128MB
    SB Audigy
    40GB 7200 RPM HD

13. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Picked it up last night and installed all 2.6 gigs of gaming goodness. Of course, my Athlon XP2200+/Geforce 4/Sound Blaster Audigy system runs the game like butta' and the 5.1 surround from my Altec Lansing 251's is da' biz! Love that lightning gun!

14. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

I'm waiting till Jan/Feb to upgrade my system to something around 3Ghz, with a gig or more of RAM and either the latest ATI Radeon (forget the number but it's the one that's outperforming the GeForce Ti460) or whatever Geforce decide to call the NV30 when they release it around the new year. I don't want to have to upgrade again when Doom 3 / Quake 4 come out next year, and I also want the highest possible specs to give me freedom with my video editing and computer music. This all means I'll have to wait a few months to afford it but the system should be fairly good once I finally pick it up.

One reason I did read for the exclusion of Assault in UT2003 was that the upcoming 'Unreal II: The Awakening' is "..all about assult" in the gameplay. That sounds nice, but I can't help but mourn its absence from UT2003. I guess that mods will be everywhere in a matter of months though, and there will surely be some Assault courses among them. I'd even buy an expansion pack for UT2003 if all it included was 20 or 30 top-notch Assault courses, with maybe an upgraded version of the 'Overlord' map to sweeten the deal.