What's new

UT 2003 = Awesome (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
There are just TOO MANY good games out right now for all platforms. Let me just say that.

One of those "too many" is Unreal Tournament 2003, released today for the PC.

I enjoyed Unreal Tournament (the original) immensely, even though I rarely played over the internet, and the improvements that have been made in UT2003 are incredible. There are some changes I don't quite understand (why did they ditch some of the weapons and the gameplay mode called Assault), but overall, I'm really enjoying it. The AI controlled bots in single player are much smarter, and the graphics and animations are awesome.

For those of you wondering if you should get it or not, the answer is yes, you should.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I really will miss Assault. I LOVE assault. Oh well.
So, it is out today? No way! Been too busy at work, and the Calgary Film Fest starts tomorrow. What horrible timing. :)

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
I found UT 2003 at a local store yesterday (Sunday) but no Hitman 2 :frowning:
So I picked up UT and I've been playing Single player most of the day. Its a lot of fun. Probably give multiplayer a try tonight or tomorrow...
JQ

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I'm addicted to Bombing Run, but only with LowGrav and InstaGib, makes it so intense. Sigh, guess I'll have to pick it up.

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Hmm--I've been looking, but I can't really confirm--is UT2K3 missing the sniper rifle? I really hope not--it's definitely my favorite weapon.

A friend of mine and I used to play UT on a LAN, some times head-to-head, and sometimes against others online. One of the coolest games we'd play is essentially a sniper's deathmatch, and we got good at finding new inventive places to snipe from. Sometimes frustrating, but it paid off when we'd find where the other is hiding (similar to the movie Enemy at the Gates).

Anyway, what's the word on the sniper rifle?

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Anyway, what's the word on the sniper rifle?
The sniper rifle is still there, but it is no longer of the 'bullet' variety. It is the lightning gun. Works about the same, a little slower but just as fun.
I am sad they removed Assault though. :frowning:

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I picked it up last night and have had one heck of a time trying to get it to run right. Even updated to the latest video drivers and still have problems.
I have:
Windows 98
AMD 1.7Ghz XP
256Mb RAM
20Gb HD
ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon (32Mb)
and it's just not enough to run it at 1024x768 @ 32M. Have to run it @ 800x600 @ 16M with all details set to normal. This thing is a hog. But that painter gun is waaay cool! Get away, far far away! :D

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
IMHO, this is your problem.
I have an AMD Athlon XP 1600+, GeForce 3, and 512MB running on WinXP and have no problems running it at 1024x768x32 with the details set to "high". If I go to "higher" or "highest" it works reasonably well, with slowdowns only on large firefights.
There's a reason Nvidia's logo is all over this game... ;)

Jay_Sharp

Stunt Coordinator
Forget UT. Now the new Unreal Editor included with it...that's something to get excited about. Drool.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Is that an AIW 8500 or an older one? I've got a regular 8500 and the demo runs great. The release notes did mention issues with older Radeon cards IIRC, but that may just be for the demo, which I see had a patch released (don't know if there's one for the full game).

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I been playing the demo off and on, overall it's a pretty good game. However, the day has come where a P3 1Ghz is no longer good enough. :frowning: The game runs well on my system, but not as well as I would like.
Setup:
WinXP Pro
P3 1Ghz
512MB RAM
GeForce4 TI 4200 128MB
SB Audigy
40GB 7200 RPM HD

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Picked it up last night and installed all 2.6 gigs of gaming goodness. Of course, my Athlon XP2200+/Geforce 4/Sound Blaster Audigy system runs the game like butta' and the 5.1 surround from my Altec Lansing 251's is da' biz! Love that lightning gun!

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I'm waiting till Jan/Feb to upgrade my system to something around 3Ghz, with a gig or more of RAM and either the latest ATI Radeon (forget the number but it's the one that's outperforming the GeForce Ti460) or whatever Geforce decide to call the NV30 when they release it around the new year. I don't want to have to upgrade again when Doom 3 / Quake 4 come out next year, and I also want the highest possible specs to give me freedom with my video editing and computer music. This all means I'll have to wait a few months to afford it but the system should be fairly good once I finally pick it up.

One reason I did read for the exclusion of Assault in UT2003 was that the upcoming 'Unreal II: The Awakening' is "..all about assult" in the gameplay. That sounds nice, but I can't help but mourn its absence from UT2003. I guess that mods will be everywhere in a matter of months though, and there will surely be some Assault courses among them. I'd even buy an expansion pack for UT2003 if all it included was 20 or 30 top-notch Assault courses, with maybe an upgraded version of the 'Overlord' map to sweeten the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks