What's new

"Usual Suspects" to be Triple-Dipped by MGM (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
This latest from DVDJournal.com...apparently MGM are going to be releasing a brand new, two-disc "Collector's Edition" in November:

So...a new Singer/Spacey commentary, and a "new featurette"? I'm quite happy with my 2002 limited edition (the one with the "sunset orange" outer-sleeve) and all the supplements it contained, though listening to Spacey riff on the film might be a hoot and worth the upgrade price.

Still. I'm undecided. The previous special edition was rather definitive, though if a new transfer's a factor here, then maybe.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I don't remember a problem with the previous LE transfer so this is reallly a wasted effort by sony.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I don't remember a problem with the previous LE transfer so this is reallly a wasted effort by Fox. It's simply a cash in to make money from their recent marketing deal of the MGM library who seems to own the video rights to this.

YAHHHHNNNNNN. Boring news.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Though the new commentary will certainly do much to pique folks' curiosity (mine included). For most people, it'll largely come down to final word-of-mouth, and what the reviewers' verdict ends up being.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Well, IIRC, the 2002 DVD has the widescreen anamorphic version on just a single layer on one side of the DVD. That's stupid for a DVD released in 2002. I don't mind if they include a full frame version in the set, but either put it on the opposite side of the DVD or on a separate disk. The anamorphic widescreen version, and the full frame version for that matter, deserves a full two layers on the DVD dedicated to the movie so you can have high video bit-rates to get the best picture quality possible. It will interesting to see what this new DVD set's picture quality looks like if it has a new transfer. At the very least they should use the same transfer but with the widescreen version on two layers, not one.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I had the R1 SE but sold it because the transfer was pretty bad, suffering as it did by having the 4:3 and widescreen versions shoe-horned onto one side (as Lee has just mentioned).

However, the transfer on the R2 SE is scintillating, and even though it doesn't have the proper burned-in captions that's a small price to pay. The SE is stacked with extras too, so what's the point of another edition? (Other than selling the same shit to us again, of course.)

Kelly W

Second Unit

Ummm, no. What the heck are they talking about with the "little sliding drawers"?

I'm very happy with my SE of The Usual Suspects. I don't think I'll be upgrading.

-Kelly

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
I think I still have that original, sliding drawer version, of the movie. Back then, that was the way Polygram packaged all of their DVDs. The discs were on a tray and in order to remove them you would have to slide them out through the bottom of the packaging. Boy do I feel old!

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
I think this was cancelled or delayed. Many on-line retailers don't list it and DVD Planet has it as Temporarily Out of Stock - which means they didn't get any by Tuesday.

Dan Lassiter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Lassiter
Does anyone have any new info on this 2-disc release?

I had it on my X-Mas list and my bro-in-law ordered it for me from Amazon. He said they told him Jan 7 for a release, but their website now shows November 27, 07.

Thanks

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
WT#? They would rather repackage this film again and again instead of releasing many other missing films or heck funding a restoration of any number of films they have in the library. How much coin are they going to make from this release w/Kevin Spacey commentary! And what silly name will they plaster across this rerelease??? Wake up MGM & FOX!

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Surely by now there must be some info. on when this new set of "The Usual Suspects" is expected to come out? :)

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Looks like we finally have some info. on when the new DVD set of The Usual Suspects will be coming out! :) Check out the link below. It will be interesting to see what the movie looks like now that it will have the proper two full layers on the DVD dedicated to just the widescreen version of the movie. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Usual-Suspects...8417152&sr=1-3

MTRodaba2468

Agent
Real Name
Matt Rodabaugh
I remember hearing about this a while ago, and since I tend to be somewhat OCD about these things, I held off on re-buying the current version (long story). And then no one had any information on it. Even at the store I work at. :frowning:

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Now it appears the release date for this new DVD set has been changed to December 31st on other sites (not Amazon, they haven't updated their site yet). Maybe they really took their time with the new transfer to get it right, so that's why it's taking awhile longer to come out. :)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
December 31 is a Monday so a more plausible explanation is that they just put it on the last day of the year as a placeholder date.

Dan Lassiter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Lassiter
This was supposed to come out in November of 06 and they did the same thing with that one, changing the date to Dec 31 at the last minute. I'm beginning to doubt this two disc set will ever see the light of my high def TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks