Usual Suspects SE for, basically, $6.99

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnRice, Apr 2, 2002.

1. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I went to pick this up a Best Buy today and brought along my Circuit City flyer for them to price match at $13.99. The CS guy said, "This qualifies for a $10 gift card, but you can't combine specials, so do want the DVD for $16.99 plus the $10 gift card or do you want just the DVD for $13.99?" Well, heck, I took the gift card and got the DVD basically for $6.99. I double checked the flyer when I got home and it says you have to get Bandits as well to get the gift card, but who am I to argue. Pretty darn good deal if other stores are doing the same thing. It may apply to the new SE of Bull Durham as well, and they give you the card right there. [​IMG]

2. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

This happened to me as well.
    I did not pick up Bandits, either, yet I received TWO $10 gift cards for my purchases of Bull Durham and The Usual Suspects.
    I thought (think) there might have been an error with the system.

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Dammit! Why aren't any of the stupid employees working at my BB? I didn't even get my GC for "Hunchback" even though it came up on the screen when he scanned the DVD.

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Actually, I got two cards as well, though I got two copies of Usual Suspects. In fact, the CS guy went ahead and consolidated the $20 onto one card

5. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

I went to my local bestbuy with my cc ad. price matched for bull durham and usual suspects at 13.99 each.
    I was suprised when the CS person hands me a $10 gift card since I did not get bandits. So i look at my recipt and it shows $3.99 for the usual suspects $10.00 for GC and $13.99 for bull durham.[​IMG]

6. josh4040

josh4040 Second Unit

It was a mess at my bb too. I was going to get bandits and pricematch bull durham and usual suspects they tried to do the 13.99 but it wouldnt work with the deal but I got a gift card for bd and one for us so i spent more then i would have if i had gone to cc and just got the three but i do have 20 bucks in credit burning a hole in my pocket [​IMG]

7. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    I did NOT get this deal at my BB. [​IMG] The cashier even told me I could get a gift card if I got Bandits, but I'm not interested in that title.
    I'm still a little surprised, since I did get the $5 card with Hunchback of Notre Dame a couple of weeks ago without the Hunchback II purchase.
    Hmmm, I think I'm gonna take this back (haven't opened it yet) and try another area BB.

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I COULD have gotten this deal at my BB. I went up to the register with both Bandits and Suspects. She scanned Suspects FIRST, and it came up on the register as $6.99 and asked for them to scan a $10 GC. She had not even seen Bandits which was still in my hand, let alone scan it. The cashier next to her was looking over (she had no one in her line) and said "Wow, what a deal, you basically get it for $6.99." Now that's not entirely true, since you are required to buy the $10 GC. But at the BB I went to, Bandits apparently isn't a requirement. I just bought this like an hour ago during my lunch break. I'm looking at the receipt right now, and the line items are:

Usual Suspects $6.99

$10 Gift Certificate $10.00

Then a line

----------------------------

Bandits $16.99

And I stress again, the GC came up before anyone knew I had Bandits in my hand (which I bought anyway because I'm a big Willis & Blanchette fan).

Happy shopping!

9. Lane F.

Lane F. Stunt Coordinator

I got you all beat! I went to my local Best Buy earlier today with my Circuit City flyer in hand to price match The Usual Suspects SE DVD.

Not only did they price match it to the $13.99 price, but she also gave me the $10 gift card. Now, I already had a $5.00 gift card from the previous Hunchback DVD - and to makes things even better the lady asked if it was ok for her to add the $10 onto my existing card.

So then I had $15 on this one gift card and she even let me use this to pay for the $13.99 that was due!!!

$3.99 - Usual Suspects (price match)

$10.00 - Gift Card

$0.28 - Sales Tax

------------------------------------

$14.27 - Total

$15.00 Gift Card Payment

------------------------------------

$0.73 Remaining on gift card

10. Jay Rodriguez

Jay Rodriguez Stunt Coordinator

I too received the $10 gift card, and I only bought Usual Suspects. I figured they did that to combat the Circuit City price, but I didn't stick around to ask. Is this something that only happened on release day or is it all week long?

11. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

After reading this yesterday, I walked into Best Buy, picked up a copy of Usual Suspects: SE, and headed to the check-out counter. I noticed that the display sign say that the promo was a $10 gift card if you purchased BOTH US:SE along with Bandits or another title I don't recall. When I reached the checkout, I placed US:SE on the counter and as soon as the girl saw it she grabbed a $10 gift card off the rack.

I walked out of the store with US:SE and a $10 gift card. My total charge was $17 and change.

Thanks for the info!

12. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

This really seems to be a special thing. One store could have the deal while another store 10 minutes down the road doesn't have the deal.

13. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    Score!! I hit a 2nd BB a little farther away, and walked out with The Usual Suspects, Bull Durham, and 2 $10 gift cards! [​IMG]
    For Houston-area members, this was the new Fairmont Parkway (Pasadena) BB, just off of Beltway 8. They've got plenty of both DVDs in stock.

14. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

So wait I don't quite understand. They either give you the DVD for $17 with giftcard or just the DVD $14. And do you have to buy Bandits too? The only title I'm interested in is US. Also, is the giftcard something you have to buy or is it something they just hand out to you? The various posts here have threw me off. Can someone clear all this up?

~Kevin

P.S. I'm from Houston TX as well. Around Humble so I'd be going to the BB Office Max for all you Houstonians.

15. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    Kevin, although the ad states you have to buy Bandits in addition to The Usual Suspects to get the gift card, what most of us are finding is that when the cashier rings up TUS, a pop-up appears on the register telling them to give the $10 gift card. In most stores, they DON'T require Bandits. This may be just bad programming on BB's part, but there's no law against taking advantage of it.
    The sale is rung up as TUS for $6.99, and the gift card for $10.
    This seems to be store-dependant. The first time I tried it, they told me I could get the gift card if I bought Bandits. I then went to another store and they handed over the gift cards just like the register told them to.
    Bottom line - try it. The worst that can happen is they tell you you need to buy Bandits. Say "No thank you", cancel the sale, get in your car and go to the next BB down the road (as you well know you can't drive 10 minutes on any Houston highway without hitting one!!). You'll get the deal somewhere.

16. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    My guess is, the sale was entered into the computer wrong on a national basis. Only the stores who have any idea what they are doing have corrected it in their own computers, and we know how rare they are. [​IMG]

17. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Dang, I wasn't going to buy Bull Durham for $16.99 (since I already bought Bandits) but now I'm going to try and see if I can get a $10 GC with just that purchase. If I can, then I'll be willing to spend $6.99 (net) for it, sure!

18. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

For the fellow Houstonians:

The BB I had my experience at was at the corner of Richmond and 610. Get it while the gettin's good.

19. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

Well I was always planning on getting all three movies Bull Durham, Usual Suspects, & Bandits but figured I would just get one gift card. I was pleasantly surprised when I got 2 $10 gift cards.

20. Jay Rodriguez

Jay Rodriguez Stunt Coordinator

Hey James D S,

That's where I go...Maybe you were the guy in front of me at the counter.