ust a couple of AV Receivers review links

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DonJ, Jul 31, 2002.

1. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

2. David Nash

David Nash Agent

David
    I'm surprised nobody has responded to the very average rating given the Denon 3802 considering the number of posts on this receiver. A quote from the review stated "Likewise, the swirling sound of Moulin Rouge is missing the dynamic drive that can leave you breathless on receivers like the Onkyo".
    I own an Onkyo 797 purchased this past June and have had none of the problems (drop outs, ticking) others have encountered so I was pleased to read the article. I sometimes think Onkyo is not given enough credit for the quality of sound they produce. Maybe they don't have as much snob appeal because they are sold mostly in chain stores as opposed to specialty shops, so therefore they are perceived to not sound as good or be made as well. I could not ask for anything more out of the 797. Great sound, very detailed and clear, plenty of power, great remote, all the latest features, etc. etc.. Everyone has their own opinion and this is mine, but always let your ears decide for you.
    David

3. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

I'm glad the links helped I like them myself.

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Before I begin, I want everybody to know that I am a 3802 owner so some of my opinions could be biased. Readers can decide on their own if I what I say has a point or not. Putting my flame suit on.

Personally I wouldn't place too much credibility on any of the reviews that Future Publishing media puts out. They put out stock Consumer Review (US analogue) type articles that dont say much more than if a particular component is recommended or not. They are more for the regular J6P, wannabe audiophiles (who haven't heard anything but BOSE) who buy based on TV commercials and what they see in the movies. Home Entertainment, a sister publication of Hifi Choice gave the 3802 and its predecessor the 3801 five stars two years in a row and Hifi choice now gives it an average rating. I personally didn't place much credibility on the earlier 5 star reviews neither do I place much credibility on this latest review. Any review that doesn't detail the testing conditions and associated review equipment should be taken with a carton of salt. And I think the readers on this forum are far more subjective than what the reviews in those articles put out. That is my guess as to why no one cared to respond to these links.

Personally I would place much more credibility on professional reviews that come out on Stereophile, SGHT, Home Theater, S&V, TAS etc., and I think so does everybody else here.

These are totally my own opinions and mean no disrespect to any one else's.

My 2 cents.

5. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

I'm not looking for response just to rattle the cage a little.[​IMG]

6. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Since there was nothing in the cage to begin with nothing happened when you rattled the cage[​IMG]

7. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

Yeah but this is hardly this first 'bad' review the 3802 has had. One bad review, sure I can take that on board but a couple would have me thinking.

Let's just say that there are compromises in this price range, short cuts are apparent, perhaps they can do better on the next iteration. Many people who buy or review a certain piece may not see a flaw, that is not to say they don't exist. But if more than one person sees similar flaws, well...

T.