USPS demolished my drivers...advice needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Hine, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Hey guys,

On the advice of many members here I sought out a couple of the original SVS drivers to use for a "budget" sub. Well, the drivers got to my house today and while they appeared to be well packaged it looked like someone almost drove a forklift over them. There are several cracks and breaks in the baskets. The cones and surrounds appear to be intact and undamaged however. Is there any possibility that I could just use an epoxy to repair the broken parts or are the drivers pretty much garbage now? If I can get my hands on a digital camera I'll try to take some pics for you guys to see exactly what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

Dan Hine

2. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

First off, Thats a bummer. I know what its like to anticipate something for so long and have it arrive broken. sounds like someone dropped the box. I would make a stink with USPS. Did you buy online with shipping insurance? Who did you buy it from? can the seller verify the condition of the product before it was mailed?

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Thanks for the quick response and sympathy Geno.
    I bought them from a fellow member of this forum but cannot recall if I asked for them to be insured. [​IMG] I'm certain that the seller could verify that they were in good condition when he sent them. If they weren't insured do I really have a case with the USPS or is it shipper beware?

4. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

I would think that w/out insurance, you're out of luck. You might make some noise anyway, but I doubt it'd work. Worse case scenario is they say no. Maybe the seller can give you part of the money back. I'd try the epoxy anyway.

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Isn't any parcel automatically insured for some amount. In Canada it's usually $100CDN. So you might beable to get $60-$100 out of USPS even if no extra insurance was purchased.

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Here's a happy update guys.
    On a whim I compared the mounting holes on the SVS driver to my Dayton DVC and they matched up perfectly! So I decided to see if they still worked at all. One of the subs works absolutely great. You can't tell anything is wrong with it at all.
    The other gets a little bit of wind escaping from behind the driver but I think with a little bit of effort and something like a plumbers putty I can seal that up.
    Gosh, all the drama for nothing... :b Thanks for the advice and condolences though. I think what I'm going to do now is build a dual sub with the SVS's for myself and build my friend a sub using the DVC. Sound like a plan? [​IMG] I'm thinking about 8cubic feet for the dual SVS drivers tuned to 20hz using 2 3" ports (about 9.5" long). Any comments on that idea. I use WinISD because I still cannot figure Unibox out.
    Regards,
    Dan Hine

7. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

ps YOU MIGHT TRY TO FIND THIS STUFF AT AUTOBODY STORES THAT SELL METAL EPOXY. DONT KNOW EXACT NAMES OR WHAT IT DOES BUT IVE BEEN TOLD IT HOLD AS STRONG AS METAL. IF YOUR BASKETS ARE CRACKED, THIS MIGHT BE THE LAST RESORT.

GENO

8. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

You can fix a cast frame crack with JB Weld......
    Please don't ask how I know this works [​IMG]

9. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I used JBL weld to put a pressure fitting on an exaust pipe, that stuff is strong.

I also used it to form a lip around a tube to grip a silicone coupler.

I think it could fix a crack in a frame fairly easily.

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

One thing it won't do is fix a pin hole in a radiator on a 93 Legend coupe [​IMG]

11. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Thanks for the suggestions guys. One question though. I've heard about not having the driver in the enclosure when gluing or using other types of adhesives as it can alter the driver characteristics (or something like that). Will something like JB Weld not have the same effect?

Thanks again,

Dan

12. Dan,just make sure everything is cured before re-mountint in the enclosure. One of the biggest culprits is Silicone sealent. that you DEFINATELY want to have totally cured before re-mounting. I hear the vapors deteriorate teh surround!!!