usintg a UPS for home theater system, .....good idea??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinW, Feb 12, 2002.

1. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

It seems that a decent UPS would make a better alternative to your average surge protector, which is what I've always used. Is this a good idea? Wouldn't the UPS would provide a more constant power supply and help to filter out RFI/EMI?

2. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

Kevin,

I too thought the same thing a few months back. But alas, it isn't the answer. There are two problems with UPS systems for this application. Most don't produce a true sinewave, they produce a simulated sinewave which is not really compatable with our audio gear. But, there are a few that produce "true/pure" sinewaves, their only fault usually being is that they have high THD numbers. So by the time you find a UPS with a "pure" sinewave, and low THD, your spending a fair amount of change. At that point you might as well be looking at the power regenerators specifically designed for audio/video applications, like from PS Audio and others.

3. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Most UPS's are terrible for high end audio. Like Mark said, the lack of a true sinusoidal wave just reeks havoc with the sound. They were meant to power computers and the like, not really high-end audio components.
    You're better off looking into a power line cleaner or full power regenerator. These will output a fully pure 60hz sinewave and some like the PS Audio Power Plant actually allow you to alter the frequency to better harmonize with your system.
    They're a little pricey, but they really do work. On the other hand you can go with somethig like a Monster 3500 or 5000 as a filter/surge protector only. They do a fine job at that despite the "skewed" data that PS Audio presents. [​IMG]

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I got a small (450VA) Belkin Uninterruptible Power Supply for my computer last year when California was facing a brownout crisis (which didnt materialize). It comes with a disc that programs Windows to shut down the computer in milliseconds and the batteries last 3 minutes for the powerdown program to complete and save anything being worked on. It turns out 650VA wud've been better, but nevertheless I am covered. Of course when I am not using the computer, its power management puts it to sleep anyway, so its not working on any program that needs saving.

During this hookup I thought about the HT but I couldn't figure why anyone wud want to backup the TV, power amps and all other components with a UPS after a storm or catastrophic utility electrical problem causes an outage. I mean, is your entertainment programming so important that you need to run off a huge battery pack until power is restored to your house and the lights come back on?