Using Yamaha RX-V1400 with 6.1 Setup

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chris_ORorke, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Chris_ORorke

Chris_ORorke Auditioning

I'm looking at getting a Yamaha RX-V1400 to go with my 6.1 setup (that's being installed in a new house being built). With this being a 7.1 channel amp and their manual not mentioning anything about a 6 channel setup, will this work OK? Is it sending the same infomation to both rear surround channels so I could just hook up my rear center to either? ... or does it have some kind of special mode where it's trying to send discrete info to each of the two rears separately?

Anyone using the amp in a 6.1 configuration that can comment? Maybe I should just go with the RX-V1300 instead or install 7.1 instead of 6.1? The HT guys installing the theater just told me that I didn't really need a 7.1 setup since it's not discrete but I like the extra features of this amp over the V1300 model.

please help [​IMG]

2. John S

John S Producer

I'd just go 7.1 with it.....

My Denon states in the manual to use the left rear back for 6.1 operation.

3. Nathan-C

Nathan-C Extra

Hi Chris,

I currently have the Rx v1400 and absolutely love it. I am running a 6.1 setup and it sounds great. According to the manual just hook up the rear speaker to the left surround back terminal and in the setup select 1 rear speaker. However I do plan to move to 7.1 sound ASAP only to take full advantage of the RX v1400. Especially for DPL IIx. I recommend you do the same if you can. Anyways I hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask any questions about it.

Nathan

4. Steven Sims

Steven Sims Stunt Coordinator

If you are having a house built, by all means, go ahead and go 7.1. Trust me, you won't be sorry. It can make a big difference. It has to do with how your ears identify sounds coming from behind you. Here is a detailed discussion of it from AVSForum.