Using Vintage Speakers as Mains in a Surround Sound Setup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Brown, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    What are your guys opinions on using Vintage speakers as mains in a surround sound setup?
    Currently i'm using a pair of JBL L150's (~1979) as my mains, and I think they sound great, but i'd still like to get everyone's opinions.

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

the problem is that you really need a center channel that matches your mains. if you can pick up another L150 or 2 if thats all you can find...go for it. if not you should just use the L150s in a separate 2 channel setup.

3. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Chris---Certain vintage speakers such as Altec and JBL horn systems are superior to almost all loudspeakers made today. I use Altec VOTs in my HT and there isn't a new "normal" hi-fi speaker that can touch them. Your JBLs are from the time when JBL home speakers were made with the finest quality of construction available and most modern speakers, including expensive "audiophile" ones, are cheap junk compared to them. Keep 'em and use 'em.
    www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

4. Chris Brown

-
    Just watched Top Gun on DVD for the first time, a movie that I watched religiously when I was very young.
    My JBL's didn't let me down [​IMG]

5. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

Hi Chris,
    Its good to finally find another JBL L150 owner on this forum! I'm the proud (original) owner of a pair of 150s I bought back in the late 70s. I've bought and sold a lot of speakers in my time, but I never could bring myself to part with these classic JBLs. All that I've done to these speakers is replace the foam surrounds on the woofers and passive radiators. I use an Adcom GFA-555II amp to drive the 150s and have impressed many friends over the years!
    I decided to assemble a separate HT system (albeit a budget one) rather than try to integrate the 25 year old JBLs into a modern surround setup. I'm using Ascend Acoustic CBM-170s at the corners, a HTM-200 center channel, and a Hsu VTF-2 sub for my 5.1 system and have been very pleased with it for both movies and music. An Onkyo 595 powers the Ascends.
    This is just a suggestion, but having two separate systems has worked for me. [​IMG]

6. Chris Brown

-
    *Sigh*. this is when reality sets in for me, heh
    I'm 18 and still living at my parents house through college. It's quite funny though, that my little theater consists of a 6.1 setup using the JBL's as mains, a Cerwin-Vega LW-12 subwoofer, a couch with bass-shakers, and a huge movie/audio library all in my little 12' x 10' room... while the living room downstairs is filled with a simple pro-logic receiver, and all my hand-me-down(up?) components [​IMG]
    That being said, I'm not sure I have room for a 2nd HT in my little room. I suppose I could share more with the living room... but... they like to watch Pan & Scan! Yuck.