using video inputs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mikey Ber, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Mikey Ber

Mikey Ber Stunt Coordinator

Ok,

a couple of questions...

1.What do I gain by using the video inputs on a receiver?

2.Can I just connect directly from my dvd (jvc xv-s60 dvd component to my tv Toshiba 50HX81) and just wire the audio signal thru the receiver?

I am looking into buying a Yamaha RXV-430 or a RXV-530. Just wondering if it is worth it to spend an extra 100 dollars for the video connections on the receiver, which I rather put it towards a speaker system...
    thanks,

Mike

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

1- The ability to switch audio/video sources
    2- Yes

3. Mikey Ber

Thanks.
    Mike

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i actually run all my signals (audio & video) through the receiver. for me, it's a matter of convenience. i can simply select one button and both my audio and video change.

if i run the video to the tv, but the audio to the receiver, then i have to change two settings. it's more of a hassle and definitely less user friendly.

some people say running the video through the receiver degrades the signal. this is something you must test for yourself...i did not notice any degredation.

bottom line: it's really personal preference...either way will work fine.

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

The biggest advantage would be if you had a tv that didn't have many inputs. My old tv had only one set of stereo inputs...in order to view my PS2, my DVD player, VCR, etc. it was great to use the receiver as a "Video Mixer" where I use the audio sources to choose which device was sent to the tv. Otherwise, I would have had to unplug (for example) the DVD player from the tv and then hook up the PS2 in order to play video games...BLECH!

My new tv has more than enough inputs that I no longer need to 'video mix'. Also the fact that my receiver doesn't have any Component input/outputs so I really couldn't mix my component devices. Sure, it's an extra step to switch the audio source AND the video source, but it doesn't bother me too much.

p.s. I just remembered, some older receivers may have S-Video inputs, but might only have RCA outputs, so I would stay away from a situation like that where you would use the S-Video out (of a DVD player or game console), go into the receiver, than use the RCA outs to go to your tv when your tv may already have an S-Video input that would benefit immensely from going directly in.

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

THe "Why receivers have video inputs" is covered in the FAQ AND PRIMER.

-Vince

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

9. Mikey Ber

that is why I bought a tv with a ton of inputs...and a few outputs. putting the the money I save on a rava sub.