What's new

Using VCR audio for cable tv -- works great (1 Viewer)

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
I got around to experimenting this weekend and am wowed that this greatly improves/clears up the audio on my system.
Most likely, this because my 1991 Mitsubishi 27in tv does not have a variable audio feature: so I (heretofore) RCA from the tv audio outputs to the rcvr's tv input, adjust the tv volume about midway and turn tv spkrs OFF, then adjust the rcvr's volume.
Earlier in my setup, I had split the from-the-wall (standard) cable one to tv and the second to the Toshiba 6-head Hi-Fi VCR.
By selecting VCR1 input on the rcvr source switching, and choosing a tv program, it seems I am bypassing the TV amp and sending the audio signal straight to my Yamaha rcvr. It sure sounds much clearer, less "muffled."
This isnt rocket science, but I wonder if others use this method, tho it takes a 2 remote operation to switch chls and isnt as couch potato friendly.
bill
------------------
[Edited last by Bill Kane on November 04, 2001 at 07:21 PM]
[Edited last by Bill Kane on November 04, 2001 at 08:29 PM]

PaulKH

Second Unit
Bill - yup, I've used the VCR to handle cable audio for years. TVs have terrible audio sections generally.
As far as multiple remotes - why does it take 2 to change channels? I use my VCRs tuner as well for channel switching. My TV is just a monitor.
I also use a Marantz RC5000 (same as Phillips Pronto) programmable remote that can replace a ton of remotes and more importantly, 'automate' and integrate your devices so that if you need to switch channels with the VCR but audio with the receiver and maybe other features with the TV (e.g., pip perhaps), you can program the remote to do all this on one screen and not care which device is being asked to do what! It takes work to set it up, but it's a huge win from then on.
My remote has a big 'on' and 'off' graphic on the 'home' screen also, and pressing on turns on the receiver, VCR, and TV and sets inputs/modes correctly all in one go! Sure helps keep peace on the wife front!!!!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The audio decoders on VCR's are generally much better sounding than the ones on TV's.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
thx for the confirmations (on World Series and Band of Brothers night, too).
Paul, yes, I am finding my VCR remote can handle the chl switching. Pronto style remotes are neat, tho for now I am the only user of the system.
Neil (Mr. Toronto?) thx for chiming in. By the time I upgrade my video source, I assume any newer units will have an audio signal bypass to the rcvr...
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks