What's new

Using USA subwoofer RMS-300W in UK. What step down WATTAGE should I look for? (1 Viewer)

inckka

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephan
I'm gonna have a sub woofer which is rated as 120V-130W, However it's RMS rating is 300W.
I'm gonna use it in 220v~240v current supply.
I decided to buy a step down transformer. However transformers comes with certain VA value.
Since the sub woofer consumes only 130W. Should I buy a transformer with 200VA or should I target for the RMS value?

My past experience was, if the the device which connected to transformer grabs more power than the max output of the transformer, the device which drags power getting turned off.

Any tips are welcome.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
It's hard to calculate VA without a power factor value. Subwoofer amps tend to draw a lot more current in very short periods, while generally using very little on average.

Most transformers won't hiccup due to transient current draw spikes, but if you post the particular model it would help answer your question.

If you want to be safe, you could assume a power factor of .5 (very conservative), which would net a VA requirement of 260. A 300VA stepdown transformer would be a safe purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks