What's new

Using two Centers as front left & Right (1 Viewer)

Openupshop

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Hello everyone,

Excuse my ignorance but....

Can I use two Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 60 Center speakers, as Front Left & Front Right?? It would be Two separate center speakers from this set: PRO cinema 60 Center Link

Here are the specs for that speaker:
Center Speaker: Two 3.5" long-throw upper bass/midrange drivers with butyl rubber surrounds, One 1" ferrofluid-dampened pure aluminum dome tweeter

1) ok to use them as fronts?
2) since they are centers, should I position them horizontally?

p.s. It's in a 5.1 (possibly 5.1.2 in near future) where I have a Pro Cinema 1000 as the center, a subwoofer and two promonitor 60's as surrounds. Thank you.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The only limitation I could possibly see is that some speaker manufacturers may build their center speakers to reproduce dialogue better than their traditional satellites or bookshelves from the same line.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They're virtually always just an MTM (two mids instead of one) version of the L/R speaker.

Openupshop

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Thank you everyone. Appreciate the help.

I asked about orientation cause a couple places I read:

"The main difference is that a speaker that's been produced specifically as a horizontally-positioned center will need to have its tweeter rotated 90 degrees when positioned vertically...usually a very quick and easy DIY"

Jim517, it just happened that I ended up with this specific group of speakers. I will only be using it for movies.

One thing I should have perhaps been more clear about is I do have a full 5.1 right now without those two centers. It consists of 4 identical promonitor 60's placed as front left/right & left/right surrounds along with the pro Cinema 1000 center as center & a Sub. Those two pro Cinema 60 center speakers are just extra speakers I have.

So I just wanted to see if it made sense moving the current promonitor 60's from the front left & right positions & move them to height speakers. And in their place, now put the two extra pro Cinema 60 centers as front left & right giving me a 5.1.2? Or does it make more sense to keep the current 5.1 as is and just add the 2 extra centers as height speakers to get to 5.1.2?

Sorry for the lengthy post, just realized I could have been more clear in original post. Thank you guys/gals, much appreciated.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
"The main difference is that a speaker that's been produced specifically as a horizontally-positioned center will need to have its tweeter rotated 90 degrees when positioned vertically...usually a very quick and easy DIY"
There are some instances where that's the case, but it's the exception rather than the rule. I see no reason that would be the case with these speakers. Dome tweeters (which they have) radiate evenly in a full circle.

iraweiss

Auditioning
Real Name
Ira S Weiss
The one issue is that the center speakers have angled sides and won't stand vertically very well.

Openupshop

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Thank you JohnRice & iraweiss, really appreciate the info. :rolling-smiley: :rolling-smiley: it's crazy, I hadn't even noticed the angled sides.

So the wall mounts I have do allow me to position them horizontally. However, just to be sure, there is no drawback to positioning them horizontally, correct? Just making sure as John you stated earlier that you'd

"...position them vertically"

But I took that as you were basically telling me "no need to do anything unconventional."

Thanks again. You guys are great.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ideally speakers are vertical. Their sound dispersion is better that way. Originally THX specs required a vertical cent for that reason, but vertical centers are simply impractical. If it was me, I'd find a way to have them vertical, but it isn't the end of the world if you don't.

Openupshop

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Ideally speakers are vertical. Their sound dispersion is better that way. Originally THX specs required a vertical cent for that reason, but vertical centers are simply impractical. If it was me, I'd find a way to have them vertical, but it isn't the end of the world if you don't.

Cool, thank you John. I think I can "McGuyver" the mounts a bit, so the speakers get positioned vertically. What you said about the sound dispersion being better vertically is more important to me than having an easier installation.

Thank you again John, really appreciate your expertise.

Openupshop

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Their sound dispersion is better that way.

Hey John, (or another available kind soul) I hope this catches your attention. I had an opportunity to buy a set of (almost pristine condition) Def Tech BP-8 floor standing speakers. Here is a link:BP-8

I installed them as front Right/Left speakers in my 5.1.2, replacing the two center speakers I asked about using as left/right, when I started this thread.

My question is, now those two Def Tech pro cinema 60 Center speakers I was previously using as Right/Left are back collecting dust in my closet and so...

Is it worth it to replace the two surrounds with those Centers or the two height atmos speakers??
Or not worth it & just leave them in my closet?? (Currrently, the surrounds & height speakers are all the Def Tech pro monitor 60 speakers) Only diff I can find listed in specs, is the centers have TWO "3.5" long-throw upper bass/midrange drivers" compared to the surrounds/height speakers which have One of those drivers -- as per chart I have attached.

Thank you so much

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200831-034049_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200831-034049_Chrome.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member