Using TV speaker as Center Channel

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by john marine, Dec 5, 2003.

1. john marine

john marine Auditioning

Althought this is not recommended in much of the literature currently available, I would like some help/guidance on hooking up the speaker on my Hitachi 51SWX20B monitor as the CENTER CHANNEL to my Onkyo TX-SR600 AV Recevier.

The AV receiver has wire mounts for two stripped wires....where as the monitor has three (3) philco type plugs labeled as follows: Center in, Left and Right.

My question is ....what type of cable can I purchase/make, to complet the connection between the receiver and the monitor, and which of the plugs on the monitor should I use....Thanks,

---John

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Moving this to the Speakers area.

3. john marine

john marine Auditioning

Thanks....I'll leave well enough alone.

4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

You really need to get a dedicated center channel speaker. This is the most important speaker in a Home Theater system for movies. Over 60% of the sound comes from the center channel.

With that said, you would probably be better off running the receiver with the option of no center channel than trying to hook it up to the TV speakers.

5. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Yeah - and even if you were to use the TV speakers, it wouldn't be timbre matched and would just not blend well w/ any decent LR Mains.