What's new

Using TV speaker as Center Channel (1 Viewer)

john marine

Auditioning
Althought this is not recommended in much of the literature currently available, I would like some help/guidance on hooking up the speaker on my Hitachi 51SWX20B monitor as the CENTER CHANNEL to my Onkyo TX-SR600 AV Recevier.

The AV receiver has wire mounts for two stripped wires....where as the monitor has three (3) philco type plugs labeled as follows: Center in, Left and Right.

My question is ....what type of cable can I purchase/make, to complet the connection between the receiver and the monitor, and which of the plugs on the monitor should I use....Thanks,

---John

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Moving this to the Speakers area.

The AV receiver has wire mounts for two stripped wires
Those are intended for direct connection to a speaker, and the signal at that point has already been amplified. The TV input you've described, however, is intended for an unamplified signal from a pre-out, which your receiver apparently doesn't have. I'm sure you could find (or modify) a Radio Shack cable with an RCA plug (what you've called a "philco type plug") at one end and two bare leads at the other, but the result would probably be distorted sound and a high risk of blowing the TV speaker.

M.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
You really need to get a dedicated center channel speaker. This is the most important speaker in a Home Theater system for movies. Over 60% of the sound comes from the center channel.

With that said, you would probably be better off running the receiver with the option of no center channel than trying to hook it up to the TV speakers.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Yeah - and even if you were to use the TV speakers, it wouldn't be timbre matched and would just not blend well w/ any decent LR Mains.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks