What's new

Using TV as center channel? (1 Viewer)

NatL

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed on at least some of the latest Toshiba RPTV's that they have a feature where you can hook up your TV as a center channel.

I was wondering if there is a way to set any TV up this way? I have a pretty good center speaker (AR4C) but I think my TV's speakers are better.

Could I hook up a cable from the center channel out on my receiver to the TV's audio in, for instance?

N

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would not recommend it. If your front stage is timbre matched, you will lose that by doing this. I highly doubt your TV speakers are better than a separate speaker. Your TV speakers may have more bass, but will almost certainly not have the same high frequency response of the AR.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Could I hook up a cable from the center channel out on my receiver to the TV's audio in, for instance?
Assuming you are sending the receiver’s “Monitor Out” to the TV’s “Aux,” “Video,” or “Line Input,” yes you could send the receiver’s center out to the TV’s audio jacks. To use both of the TV’s center speakers, you would need to split the center channel signal with a “y” adapter.

That said, John’s concerns about timbre matching and sound quality of the TV speakers should not be ignored.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Christopher~O

Stunt Coordinator
I had a look at my TV speakers (new SONY RPTV) when the TV was apart for ISF calibration. 4" paper cones. Complete crap. Your's may be better, but as mentioned will probably sound mismatched with your L&R speakers.

Cheers,
Chris

NatL

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the comments. I think you are right - I'm just fooled by the bassiness. But I'll keep in mind that I have the option.

N

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
If you have preouts on your receiver you could do both.

I'm not sure it would enhance the sound but you could preout the center to the TV and continue to power you normal center with the receiver and see how it sounds.

Well.............Maybe not a great idea but fun trying!

Mike

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'd recommend buying a cheap rubber door stop and angle your center (assuming it lacks some form of angling device to aim) to the ear height of the primary listening position and reevaluate this again. Most TV speakers are usually of low quality and lack in freq extention both lows (most likely a midbass peak bump designed in the set) and highs .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks