Using the DB Drive PL15D4 (or D2) at home.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Todd Gill, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Todd Gill

Todd Gill Auditioning

Sep 18, 2002
    I have seen several posts by ThomasW about this driver and noticed some of the IB folks using it now. Since it goes for around $140 or so, it looks like an awesome deal.

Quiestion is: Besides IB usage, has anyone else used it in a standard vented application?

Quick Specs for anyone wanting to model it:

PL15D4 (Dual 4 ohm VCs)

FS 23
    QTS .41
    QMS 6.45
    QES .44
    VAS 2.8 cu ft
    XMax .79inch (20mm, right?)
    RE 6.7
    PE 2000

PL15D2 (Dual 2 ohm VCs)

FS 24
    QTS .38
    QMS .44
    QES .41
    VAS 3.02 cu ft
    XMax .79
    RE 3.8
    PE 2000
    LE 92

I would probably be more inclined to use the PL15D2, that way I can wire the voice coils in series for 4 ohm load for something like a plate amp.

Any thoughts on suitable enclosure volumes?

I was thinking, 3 cu ft tuned to 18 hz. I modeled it in WinISD and it looked fairly good.

Also, opinions on suitable power for this driver in a vented enclosure? I was thinking something along the lines of the Rhymik Audio 350 plate amp. Perhaps more would be needed to really make this driver sing?
  2. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

Sep 13, 2003
    the problem i see what that setup would be the port length. to get an 18hz tune from a 3 cube box with that sub would require a single 4" port (which isnt enough) to be nearly 32" long. that is going to be pretty hard to do.
  3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Nov 6, 1999
    You want a much bigger amp. The rated sensitivity is a lot lower than their stated 92dB, a more realistic rating is 86dB

And IMO, one should use a 6" port with any high excursion 15" driver.