using the dac's in a receiver to play music

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Drenner, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Chris Drenner

i was told by a friend that he had heard that i could bypass the internal dac's in a dvd player and use the dac's in a receiver to play music.
    im going to be running a harman kardon avr 525...can anyone tell me if this is true and any benefit of doing something like this.
    and if it is true..how do i go about doing this?
    using coaxial/optical inputs to the receiver for movies and an analog set of rca's to the cd input of the receiver????
    i dont have the money to buy a dedicated high quality cd player..
    one last question....what is the difference between coax input and optical...benefits and disadvantages?
    thanks for any feedback
    im a total newby to HT
    ive been a car stereo nut for years...i think i might have outgrown it though....is that blasphemy??

2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

To bypass the player's DACs, just use the coax or optical digital out when listening to a CD. That will make the receiver perform the digital to analog conversion. The benefit of doing this is if the receiver has better quality DACs than the DVD player.

Now, as to whether coax or optical is better... Neither one is inherently superior to the other. The optical is completely immune to RFI, but some feel that it has a weaker sound than coax. I prefer coax simply for the snugness of the connections.

3. Chris Drenner

Thanks alot Tim,
    it will take me some time to understand how every thing works in HT..

4. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

5. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Chris, try this: Connect the digital output to your receiver's DVD-Input and the analog L/R outs from your DVD-Player to your receiver's Cd-Input (or Aux). Play a CD in your DVD-Player. Now you can hear your DVD-Player's DAC's by selecting CD (or Aux), and you can hear your receiver's DAC's by selecting DVD. Which sounds best?

Before deciding which is best, be sure that the levels are well-matched, and be mindful of Aaron's points above.

6. Chris Drenner

thanks everyone for your advice,
    its a learning experience for me from here on.
    im looking forward to C.E.S. in january that way ill get to see all the stuff i cant afford..
    but ill come home with lots of ideas for the future