Using the BFD without subsonic filter?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichelF, Mar 17, 2001.

1. MichelF

MichelF Extra

Hi,
    I was worried about the lack of subsonic filter on the Behringer DSP1100P when using it for subwoofer EQ. I asked (email) Behringer why it is so and here is the answer I got from them:
    "The DSP1100P cuts off under 20 Hz. This is due to the A-D converter. So, there is no need for a separate crossover or high-pass filter."
    Would you really use it without an external subsonic filter? Did you try?
    Michel

2. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

I don't use a sub-sonic filter with my 1100P and a Velodyne FSR-18 sub. Why would I want to?
    Deane

3. MichelF

MichelF Extra

To protect your woofer!
    Are you using the internal amp of your Velodyne sub? If yes it surely has an internal subsonic filter!
    Perhaps my question was not clear: would you use the BFD with an external amp powering directly the woofer of a sub without any subsonic filter in the signal path and rely totally on the BFD to cut everything below 20hz?
    Michel

4. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

I guess my Velodyne does have an internal sub-sonic filter. There is a switch to select 35 Hz or 15 Hz. I use 15 Hz. Never thought about it before since it was all taken care of in the design. I wondered why there was concern since I had never given it a second thought, now I know.
    So far as using the BFD and depending on it to provide low frequency cut-off, I guess one has to decide whether they can count on BFD providing the right information or not. That's a tough call.
    Hopefully, Tom V. or some one with more experience in DIY subs will jump in with an answer. I guess I shouldn't even have tried to answer your question since I obviously don't know the answer.
    Deane

5. MichelF

MichelF Extra

Deane,
    Thanks anyway :)
    Michel

6. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator