Using the " 3-D Phonic Surround Sound" on my dvd player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NathanP, Oct 6, 2001.

1. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Hey there,
    I'm currently running a very nice Dolby Pro Logic setup and would like to know if pushing the "3-D Phonic" button on my JVC dvd player would improve the Pro Logic?
    I've tried it a bit but 'am getting different results..
    There are 3 different kinds of 3-D Phonic veriables on my dvd player:
    3-D Phonic Action, Theater, Drama.
    I understand that the 3-D Phonic produces a surround sound effect in the front 2 channels..
    Any help would be great!
    Nathan
    ------------------
    "Fascinating Captian"
    --Spock
    Visit www.speedemenu.com

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    From what i understand, the '3dphonic surroundsound' will give a 3D effect to people with only a stereo system. I dont think it'll improve on DPL... But im not 100% sure on that..
    ------------------
    The So Family Home Theater!
    http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
    You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine

3. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

4. Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler Stunt Coordinator

The 3D Phonic system takes the source 2-ch program, decodes it with Pro Logic, then takes the surround signal and "virtualizes" it so that it can give the impression of surround sound just using a 2-speaker playback system. If the source is 5.1, then it could also be capable of virtualizing the 2 surround signals for a "5.1" effect. The L/C/R channels are played as in normal 2-ch stereo, with a phantom center signal.
    It is meant to help people who don't have any surround system get a feel of the surround effect--but only when seated in the stereo "sweet spot" where imaging is best. If you have a real surround system, that ought to be better, and it is not advised to cascade the virtual mode with another Pro Logic decoder. The virtualization process will cause surround effects to smear (maybe it is a nice effect, but it is not too predictable).
    If you don't have a 5.1 Dolby Digital decoder, you might give a listen to the Virtual mode just for fun, with your A/V receiver set for stereo mode.
    ------------------
    Roger Dressler
    Dolby Laboratories