What's new

Using switched power (1 Viewer)

Chris Shooter

Auditioning
Are there any cons of using the switched power on the different components? Or should I just plug them into a power strip individually?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Assuming that the power strip is some sort of a surge protector, I happen to think it's more prudent to make your connections to that directly.

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator
There's also the issue of devices like your CD changer introducting RF noise into your AVR by being plugged into it's power outlets. There's a reason why some upscale gear omits switched power outlets.

Chris Shooter

Auditioning
I guess I will plug them into a power strip individually then. The order went like this:

Onkyo receiver plugged into power strip; plugged into APC BackUPS w/line conditioner
+
Digital STB plugged into receiver
+
HDTV STB plugged into Digital STB
+
Harmon/Kardon DVD player plugged into HDTV STB

Was this a crazy setup? I'm just getting into HT and want it to be done RIGHT. So feel free to be honest, but offer suggestions. Thanks!

Chris Shooter

Auditioning
I'm using a UPS for a couple of reasons:

1. Added protection from dips/spikes in the power.

2. Provides protection from instant off/on situations in the power. I get outages and off/ons alot in Central Florida.

3. Allows equipment to run for the few minutes it takes for me to properly shut everything down.

4. Peace of mind...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks