Using switched outlet on receiver for trigger

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by David_Moechnig, Sep 10, 2003.

1. David_Moechnig

David_Moechnig Stunt Coordinator

I just recently upgraded my sub to a SVS CS+ and am using a Carver TFM-6cb amp to power it. Previously I had plugged my sub into the switched outlet on the receiver (Yamaha HTR-5460) which is rated at 100W max. However the Carver manual states it needs 500W. Is there something available that would allow me to plug a relay or some sort of trigger into the receiver so I can just leave the switch on the sub in the 'on' position? I'd rather buy something but would be open to a DIY approach. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

If your amp has a trigger, buy a universal DC power supply from Rat Shack. Plug the brick into your receiver and the mini jack into the trigger.

If the amp does not have a trigger. I think Rat Shack sells power strips when current is drawn from one outlet switches on the other outlets.

3. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

You can make a triggered powerboard by getting a cheap surge protected one and replacing the surge protector with a 12V/mains relay and adding a minijack. Then plug a 12V powerpack into the receiver switched outlet to trigger the powerboard and plug the Carver (and other non-remote) devices into the powerboard.