What's new

Using Subwoofer as Center channel Speaker Stand ? (1 Viewer)

Dave Pobuda

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if anyone had ever tried this. I have my Mits RPTV in a wall cabinet 40" off the floor and my center channel speaker on a stand right now.But was contemplating moving the sub to the center of the room and putting the center channel speaker on top. would balance out the room and I wouldn't be so concerned about the kids running around and bumping the speaker stand. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

James Slade

Second Unit
It could be done, but is likely not the best idea. In a perfect world the sub should be placed where it sounds best, maybe a front corner, maybe near a front speaker, maybe somewhere else. It would also think you would need to find some way to try and isolate the center channel from the vibration due to the sub. It's your theater so the choice is yours. Perhaps if you haven't already done it you could use an SPL meter and a test disc and try and find the best sub location.

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
Check out the latest Home Theater Magazine. There is an article on a guy who did a DIY Home Theater setup in his basement. The guy in the article did exactly what you are suggesting. He set his center channel on his sub and swears that it does'nt sacrifice sound quality. Guess it can't hurt to try!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If this requires you to put the sub further out into the room, it will almost assuredly not work. There will be no reinforcement from the walls. It would have to be a very efficient or large sub. If you want to put it right in front of or below your TV, then you will have to deal with shielding.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Hey, I put mine on top of my right front speaker so the cat could not gut it. It sounds cleaner than it did on the floor. It probably looks cleaner too.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks