Using Steering Wheels with Live

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by millercv, Jul 14, 2003.

1. millercv

millercv Second Unit

I've been enjoying MM3 and was thinking about picking up a steering wheel (looking at the Universal MadCatz one).

However I just realized there would be no place to put the headset (I believe). Are there any steering wheels with a memory card slot?

2. millercv

millercv Second Unit

hmmm I have found that the dedicated xbox wheel does have a mem slot (only one review makes mention of it - their site does not). There is one picture of the universal wheel I've seen that looks like it may have one. I'll just have to go and see if I can take it out of the box at the store to verify....

3. millercv

millercv Second Unit

Ok just got back from lunch - Went to Wal-Mart and checked - the Universal Madcatz MC2 does NOT have the memory card port (at least on top where it is on the Xbox version). So time to find another solution . . .

4. Michael St. Clair

Lik Sang claims that this adaptor allows headset use (might need a 3.5mm extension cable though) with a PSX or PS2 (non-USB) steering wheel.

I know somebody who is going to try it with a PSX wheel, I'll let you know what he finds out...

I have an older 'Magic Box' adaptor that takes a memory card but the headset adaptor doesn't fit.

5. Michael St. Clair

The word I have on the Dreambox is:

1) No break-away cable means normal XBox extension cords don't work. And it's cord is only about 6 inches or so.

2) It does work with the headset, but it's cheesy the way the memory/headset cards can plug into the unit (totally external instead of plugging 'into' a socket).

3) PSX wheel support works, but with a large dead spot (about 45 degrees each way). This results in almost 90 degrees of dead wheel in the center. You could possibly learn to compensate for this to a degree, but it's not a good interface. The dead spot is created by the adaptor, because the same wheel works without a dead spot on the PSX.

6. Michael St. Clair

FYI, my understanding is that MS has finally released a wheel force-feedback API, and that PGR 2 will be the first game to support this API.

Saitek is the first wheel company rumored to be preparing a wheel for these new games. Since PGR 2 features online, I think there is a good chance we'll see a wheel or two with both FF and Live capability by years-end.

7. millercv

millercv Second Unit

Ok For the record the MC2 for the xbox does have the slot and live does work with it....

However the disconnect problem is still in the unit - BB just got a shipment in and I figured that it would surely be fixed. Nope - every couple of races it pops up a controller has been disconnected message and you have to hit start to continue. I tried a different dongle to the xbox thinking that it may just be a loose connection but that didn't fix anything....

On live it does just pop up the message momentarily and continues by itself but it does reset any configuration changes.

so it is being returned tomorrow...

8. Michael St. Clair

Some say the disconnect problem goes away if you turn off the 'vibration' feedback.