What's new

Using second receiver as an amp. or just buying a good amp. (1 Viewer)

Ivan P

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking to add two more front speakers, so I will need to power them separate, I have two choices, since I can't use my receiver to power them (since I am getting full advantage and using it as 7.1) I need to add amp.
Should I buy a good amp. or should I connect my spare receiver and use it as an amp (Technics SA-DA10 5.1 with mosfet and bigger capac. 5x90W) or just sell the Technics and get HK PA2000 to do the job.

Thanks
Ivan

Ivan P

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking to add two more front speakers, so I will need to power them separate, I have two choices, since I can't use my receiver to power them (since I am getting full advantage and using it as 7.1) I need to add amp.
Should I buy a good amp. or should I connect my spare receiver and use it as an amp (Technics SA-DA10 5.1 with mosfet and bigger capac. 5x90W) or just sell the Technics and get HK PA2000 to do the job.

Thanks
Ivan

Ivan P

Stunt Coordinator
Well seem like the Technics is going on Ebay together with Technics DVD-Audio.

Ivan P

Stunt Coordinator
Well seem like the Technics is going on Ebay together with Technics DVD-Audio.

StephenHa

Second Unit
I'm using my old receiver to power my computer speakers, a popular amp we used to use at a place I worked was one for karaoke it sold for around a hundred bucks was about a hundred watts a channel, and was well built

StephenHa

Second Unit
I'm using my old receiver to power my computer speakers, a popular amp we used to use at a place I worked was one for karaoke it sold for around a hundred bucks was about a hundred watts a channel, and was well built

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
I'm with Drew. It sounds like you already are using a 7.1 speaker setup with your existing receiver, so what are the additional two speakers? I'd say perhaps Yamaha 'front effects' speakers, but I thought all the receivers with that came with amplifiers built in (albeit only 25w/ch). Or do you just have an enormous room and need more output?

90w can be a lot of power if your speakers are quite efficient. Sometimes that can mean going to four ohms, which not all receivers like (have had a noticeable hard time with a mid-end Technics at that impedance). If you're adding eight ohm speakers though, I would say give it a try with the Technics, what do you have to lose? If it doesn't work, or not well enough for you, THEN look for an external amp.

I actually couldn't tell a difference going from my receiver to an outboard amp with more than double the output capability, on my front L/R. But the speakers are so efficient, that it's extremely rare for me to use even half of the receiver's power ability on loud peaks, much less the amp.

Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
I'm with Drew. It sounds like you already are using a 7.1 speaker setup with your existing receiver, so what are the additional two speakers? I'd say perhaps Yamaha 'front effects' speakers, but I thought all the receivers with that came with amplifiers built in (albeit only 25w/ch). Or do you just have an enormous room and need more output?

90w can be a lot of power if your speakers are quite efficient. Sometimes that can mean going to four ohms, which not all receivers like (have had a noticeable hard time with a mid-end Technics at that impedance). If you're adding eight ohm speakers though, I would say give it a try with the Technics, what do you have to lose? If it doesn't work, or not well enough for you, THEN look for an external amp.

I actually couldn't tell a difference going from my receiver to an outboard amp with more than double the output capability, on my front L/R. But the speakers are so efficient, that it's extremely rare for me to use even half of the receiver's power ability on loud peaks, much less the amp.

Aaron Gilbert

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Yamaha's front effects speaker amplifiers and support exist only on the highest model (Z9/Z1/etc...). David Ranada (I think) wrote a good article in Sound and Vision about the front effects speakers, and adding a second pair up front. You should dig that up and read through it.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Yamaha's front effects speaker amplifiers and support exist only on the highest model (Z9/Z1/etc...). David Ranada (I think) wrote a good article in Sound and Vision about the front effects speakers, and adding a second pair up front. You should dig that up and read through it.

Ivan P

Stunt Coordinator
Well the only reason to add additional speakers on front is more like for the tweeters.
Right now my fronts Infinity Towers have 93dbs, which one not that bad, but I need more highs.

Technics specs says that can be run with 4/6 or 8 ohms speakers so the resistance of the speakrers are not a problem for Technics and THD is less then 0,03% which is much better then my HK right now.

I read the artical at S&V, I am not trying to reproduce Yamaha front effect just to add some highs, I am planning the same for the surrounds too.

Ivan P

Stunt Coordinator
Well the only reason to add additional speakers on front is more like for the tweeters.
Right now my fronts Infinity Towers have 93dbs, which one not that bad, but I need more highs.

Technics specs says that can be run with 4/6 or 8 ohms speakers so the resistance of the speakrers are not a problem for Technics and THD is less then 0,03% which is much better then my HK right now.

I read the artical at S&V, I am not trying to reproduce Yamaha front effect just to add some highs, I am planning the same for the surrounds too.

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
You could get some piezo tweeters (preferably CTS/Motorola) and wire them in parallel with your speakers. It will barely change the impedance at all, and will be a lot cheaper/simpler/smaller than adding a whole other pair of speakers, which may or may not give you the extra treble you desire. I take it turning up the treble does not produce the desired effect?

Note that I don't really this method as permanent or ideal. I just replaced the tweeters in all seven of my speakers to get more high end, which necessitated a partial redesign of the crossover. It was a lot of work, but worth it, and not counting my labor, the cost was only about $15 per speaker.

If your speakers use an L-attenuation network to reduce the level of the tweeter, you could remove that to boost the highs. However, this would require some knowledge of crossover wiring and probably soldering as well, and of course may void any warranties.

Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
You could get some piezo tweeters (preferably CTS/Motorola) and wire them in parallel with your speakers. It will barely change the impedance at all, and will be a lot cheaper/simpler/smaller than adding a whole other pair of speakers, which may or may not give you the extra treble you desire. I take it turning up the treble does not produce the desired effect?

Note that I don't really this method as permanent or ideal. I just replaced the tweeters in all seven of my speakers to get more high end, which necessitated a partial redesign of the crossover. It was a lot of work, but worth it, and not counting my labor, the cost was only about $15 per speaker.

If your speakers use an L-attenuation network to reduce the level of the tweeter, you could remove that to boost the highs. However, this would require some knowledge of crossover wiring and probably soldering as well, and of course may void any warranties.

Aaron Gilbert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks