What's new

Using s-video *and* component-video? (1 Viewer)

TyR

Grip
I'm about to purchase my first HDTV. I've already received the Scientific Atlanta 3100HD box from Time Warner. I'm going to run the video straight from the STB to the TV, bypassing my receiver. Someone told me that in addition to connecting the STB to the TV via component cables, I should also run an s-video cable from STB to TV? Is this true? If so, why are both needed? Thanks!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The HD output from the Scientific Atlanta box is only viewable if the TV is in HD mode. For a variety of reasons, I don't want to watch non-HD content in my set's HD mode. For regular programming, I connect the TV via S-video.

M.

TyR

Grip
So will I have to manually switch something in the TV when I change from a HD to a non-HD channel (or vice-versa)?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
So will I have to manually switch something in the TV when I change from a HD to a non-HD channel (or vice-versa)?
There may be models that auto-switch, but I'm not familiar with them. On all HDTVs that I've seen, you have to switch to the HD input to get an HD broadcast. You can then view regular channels through the HD input, but they will be "upconverted" by the Scientific Atlanta box, not always with the best results.

M.

TyR

Grip
Gotcha, Michael. I'll first try my luck with the upconverting, and if it's bad (as you report), then I'll use s-video.

Many thanks!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I assume you're looking at 16:9 sets, because there are very few 4:3 HD models these days.

One place you'll run into problems is with regular broadcasts in letterbox format (e.g., Enterprise and various movie channels like IFC, Sundance, occasionally Sci-Fi). Through the HD input, you will not be able to expand a letterbox broadcast to the full width of your screen; so you'll end up with black bars on all four sides. With an S-video connection, you should be able to use one of the zoom modes typically available on 16:9 sets.

M.

TyR

Grip
Indeed, 16:9 sets. I'll keep that info in mind when I've got the set here and am getting acquainted with it! Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks