Using S&V HT Tune-up Disk to fix overscan?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Fontaine, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Is there a way I can correct overscan and picture centering without disrupting the aspect ratio using the test patterns on the S&V disk?

My TV is a Panasonic GAOO 27" (Don't know the exact model numbers) I found on the net some information on how to access the service menus. But it's all hex codes, not that I have a problem with that, but for example if the setting value for the H-Size and V-Size are say 27 and 32, to reduce overscan without altering aspect ratio doesn't mean I have to substract the same number on each.

So that is why I need some sort of reliable test pattern that will let me minimize overscan and also I suspect that my picture is not perfectly centered (There are settings for H-Position and V-Position somewhere in those cryptic service menus)

Is there any of the "Advanced Test Patterns" on that disk useful for that type of tweak? The convergance grid?

2. Clint B

Clint B Second Unit

I don't know about the S&V disc, but if it has the same stuff that's on Avia (made by the same people), then you should be able to correct the overscan.

3. Sean Dayton

Sean Dayton Stunt Coordinator

My version of S@V does not have the overscan test pattern or the overscan bounce test pattern on it. It has the 5% overscan markers on crosshatch pattern.

4. Martin Fontaine

I know it doesn't have the one specifically designed for overscan, but is there one of the others that I could use to center my image and reduce overscan?

5. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I'm in the same boat as Martin - with a 27 inch Panasonic, experimenting with the squeeze trick.
    Maybe I should ask this in the beginers forum, but what, exactly, is overscan?

6. Martin Fontaine

I'm not trying the squeeze trick (Although with test patterns, I might be able to try). Overscan is the fact that stuff on the sides and top/bottom are cut-off because th HSIZ and VSIZ are too big... I just need some guideline (An onscreen image) that will let me set it up correctly.

7. Sean Dayton

Sean Dayton Stunt Coordinator

Gee, I thought I answered your question.

8. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I know this is going to be a stupid question, but why do you need a test pattern to set HSIS and VSIS?
    Since you can shrink and enlarge those as you see fit, what is wrong with gauging them by eye, until the edge of your picture is lined up with the edge of your TV screen?
    I know I'm missing something obvious here - what is it?

9. Martin Fontaine

Ok, and how do I set it then? If the white lines at the top/bottom are at an equal distance from the edge of the screen as the side ones, it means my image is proportionned right? So I guess those Blue lines making up the grid end somewhere, and if I see the bounding blue line, it means I have 0 Overscan?