Using remote control when components are behind you

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by VenkR, Feb 1, 2005.

1. VenkR

VenkR Auditioning

I am contemplating a front projector setup where the projector would be on the back wall of the room and the components (receiver, dvd, etc) would be on the back wall as well. This would allow me to keep most of my cable distances pretty short. Is there any way to use remote controls in this scenario without having to aim the remote backwards? In addition, is there a way to use this solution with a universal remote such as Harmony?

Thanks

Venk

2. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

You'd be surprised how well IR signals bounce off walls, especially with universal remotes which tend to have more powerful transmitters. I'd suggest just trying without doing anything, and seeing if it doesn't just work. If that doesn't work, you could strategically place simple reflector for an easy solution.
    A more robust solution would be one of any number of remote IR transmitter systems. These are often used to control components in another room, but it would work for your purpose as well. Basically they consist of an IR receiver, some wire, and an IR transmitter on the other end. Putting the receiver in the front (out of the way of the screen, obviously), and then run the transmitter either right to your projector, or just face it backwards from someplace convenient in the front.

This should work with any remote, universal or otherwise. BTW, if you haven't already found it, I highly recommend www.remotecentral.com for lots of good info on universal remotes, including relative transmitter strength.

Hope this helps,
    -- Dave

3. Sidney

Sidney Stunt Coordinator

I agree.. those IR remotes really bounce off the walls very well. I've done it so many time when I don't have line of site to the TV. (aimed at ceiling/wall, etc)

4. VenkR

VenkR Auditioning

Excellent, thanks for the responses. I will try w/o anything at first and will look into an IR repeater system if needed. Remotecentral.com looks to be an excellent resouce as I have not decided on a remote control yet.

5. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

If you decide on a Harmony remote (I love mine), look at newegg.com for the best pricing. I got my 688 for $145 from them...retail on Harmony's site is $249. I think jandr.com also has good pricing on Harmony.

Also, if you need an IR repeater I've found decent pricing on Xantech at ASIhome.com.

I have ordered from all three places I've mentioned more then once and was happy each time.

6. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm thrilled with the performance of my OneForAll 9910 remote. My components are all to the right side of my set-up and it works great. A (tiny) little bit of JP1 programming and it operates everything I have quite nicely.

I love watching a movie without the glowing LEDs of equipment staring at me.

8. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Aside, especially with projectors.

They often have two sensors; one on the back, one on the front.

FP screens are, in general, excellent IR reflectors.

Leo

9. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

I recently got a Pronto, and that think bounces off walls like you wouldn't believe. It's definately a great investment. I got the 3000 from somebody on this forum for well under 200 shipped. Programming it on your computer is the best part. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

And I'll second RemoteCentral as a GREAT source of info for HT remotes.

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i always test *all* of my remotes to see how well they reach. the acid test is pointing it behind me, which opens into the double-doors leading into my office.

three of the remotes listed in this thread i've used/have. the hometheatermaster, harmony, and ofa are all great remotes with strong ir blasters. i would be surprised if they didn't work for you.

i've never tried ir blasters, but i hear they're pretty easy to setup.

---

side note, one of the forum members here (mikesrc) has his own website. i've ordered stuff from him in the past with no hassles. i'd recommend you check it out...his prices are pretty good.

11. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer