Using Rechargeable NiMH batteries in the Marantz RC2000mkII

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don G, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Don G

Don G Auditioning

I recently purchased a Marantz RC2000mkII remote control, as I was getting tired of using over a half dozen individual remotes. I am happy with its functionality, but it eats batteries like they're going out of style! I'm lucky if a set of 4 AA alkaline batteries last a month.
    I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries in my Olympus Digital camera (and for my kid's Gameboys), and they work great. They last far longer than Alkaline batteries.
    I was wondering if anyone has used NiMH batteries in this remote before (or perhaps other remotes)? Some electronic equipment specifically states that rechargeable batteries are not to be used and that only alkaline batteries should be used. Maybe they are referring to the older Nickel Cadmium rechargeable batteries, I don't know (these don't last very long). The RC2000 manual only states that alkaline batteries should be used, and it doesn't say not to use rechargeable batteries.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks! [​IMG]
    Don G

2. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

The problem with rechargables is that the voltage is wrong. Alkaline are outputting 1.5v and Rechargeble are outputting 1.2v. For some devices such as Portable CD Players or Gameboys, it won't matter except that this will be the main reason why they last shorter.

On Flashlights, they will just produce a dimmer light. But on remotes, it might affect the strenth of the Infra-Red beam and therefore reducing it's effective range. So rechargables are not a good idea. And you're using one of those advanced remotes, so the computer inside must be pumping juice too, so a lower voltage might cause it to last a lot shorter. Go on vacation for a week, come back and Oops! All the settings are reset to factory defaults!

The main difference beteen NiCd and NiMH is that they last longer (Higher mAh rating), they can be recharged more often and that they are less subject by the memory effect of the NiCd (Meaning that if you don't totally discharge them each time, it won't harm it's lifespan as much)

But bottom line is: Stick with Alkalines for a remote.

3. Mark Starratt

I have a similar remote control and it says the same thing about using Alkalines. Most all electronic devices that take AA or AAA recommend using only Alkalines. However, this isn't really practical for me considering that I use AAA in my wireless mouse, Palm Pilot, remote control, my wife's Palm Pilot. I have a total of 16 rechargeable AAA, 4 are NiMh, the rest are NiCad. To avoid the memory build up on the NiCad batteries, I picked up a charger that drains them before charging them back up. The rechargeables won't damage your remote; they just won't last as long. Who cares? You just have to charge them again. I would, however, have a backup set on hand for when you do the charging. Like the previous poster mentioned, it would be a drag to lose your settings while the batteries were charging up.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The MkII gives you a LOT of notice when the batteries become weak, almost enough to charge up another set. I am getting about 4 months out of basic store bought batteries, so either you are using it a LOT or you need to change some of your functionality.

The #1 thing that kills the batteries are the backlighting and the LCD screen. Do you have the backlight function on all the time? Since it's not really necessary during the day, and there is the momentary light up button on the side, I turned it off completely. This should at least help extend the life of the batteries some.

In the setup menu, you can set the duration of light up after a button is released, as well as turn it off.

5. Alan Curry

Alan Curry Agent

Rayovac has rechargable 1.5v alkaline batteries. They used to be called Rayovac Renewables. I picked up a AA 4 pack for a little over $5 the other day. My son is using them in his GBA. I've reserved my Nimh's for my camera. My charger, which is a Rayovac Charger, supports Nimh, NiCD and alkaline rechargeables.
    Update:
    Here's a link http://www.rayovac.com/products/recharge/rec_alk.shtml

6. Don G

Don G Auditioning

Thanks to everyone that replied. My biggest concern is that rechargeable NiMH batteries will damage my remote, but it doesn't look like it will.

I tried my Radio Shack AA NiMH batteries from my Digital Camera, and they seem to work fine. They even increase the range of the remote. My experience with these batteries is that they last considerably longer than alkaline (both on my digital camera and my kids Gameboys).

Martin, you comment that they should last a shorter time than alkaline. This is not what I have found to be the case, but we will see with the remote. Also, I tried them in a small flashlight, and they created a brighter light?!? The ones I have are 1600 mAh. I haven't seen any with a higher rating than this. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not.

John, you are correct. I'm sure I could change some of the functionality and this will help. I will try the rechargeable batteries first, so I can compare apples to apples.

Thanks again for all your help.

Don G

7. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

I've been using rechargables in my RC2000 MkII for over two years. I have two sets. One in the remote and one charged for when the remote runs low.

Works for me.

8. DennisS

DennisS Auditioning

hi guys

I got sick of replacing batteries regularly so i got a 6 volt lantern battery I then soldered positive and negative wires to the battery compartment of the remote I then had a simple connection soldered to the other end Each time i replace the battery i just unclip the cable and unsolder the connection to the battery THIS LASTS FOR MONTHS and i can have the display on longer which makes life easier sure i have a cable but i have mounted the battery under the coffee table

Dennis

9. Steve Russell

Steve Russell Stunt Coordinator

I have had no problems with battery usage in my RC2000mkII. The last two sets(one duracell-the other energizer) have each lasted 6 months. I have the light set to off unless manually used. I have it controlling 8 components. I guess I would be tired of changing batteries too if I had to do it every months.