Using receiver's monitor?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Br, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I am a bit confused on which setup I should use for my system. I have a analog 53" Hitachi TV, on the panel it has video 1 which contains a s-video and a analog inputs, video 2 has analog imputs only. I need to connect a DVD, Satalite and a VCR for my video componets but with only 2 videos I am in a quandry. Should I run everything through my Yamaha rx1000 receiver and use the s-video out and into the s-video on the tv. Should I run the DVD straight to the TV with s-video, then do the montor out of the yamaha to the tv with regular analog video cable. I am just not sure what I am losing. My tv is nice but is not hdtv, does it even matter going through the receiver in this case.

Thanks in advance

Greg

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

personally, i like to run all my a/v through the receiver. it's just more convenient for me and i haven't noticed any video-signal degredation. you'll have to test for yourself and see if you notice anything.
    here's another pretty good thread on the same topic:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...698#post290698

3. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

thats funny I just did a search and was reading through the same thread, nice flowchart on the hookups!!!!