Using receiver switched AC outs for remote sub turn on?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett_H, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

All,
    I recently picked up a Sony SA-WM40 and am almost happy with its operation. One problem I have is the "Auto Power" feature. Since I live in an apartment, I can't have the volume too high, and it seems that the sub has a tendency to shut itself off pretty frequently even while the main system is on.
    I could just turn the sub on manually and defeat the auto power feature, but I'm going to be placing it in an area that's not easily accessible. I've also read that it's a bad idea to simply plug a powered sub into a receiver's switched AC outlet.
    My thought was that there must be some way to wire a relay of some sort from the switched power source of the receiver to the outlet/power strip that the sub is plugged into, thereby making sure he sub gets power whenever the receiver is on. Does this sound possible? I've had some experience with using relays for automotive use, but never for home use. Also, I have to live within the constraints of an apartment: I can't modify the in-wall wiring in any way.
    Ideas?
    Thanks,
    -Brett.

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Brett,
    I had a similar problem in the past and this is what worked for me. It's quite simple. Try turning the sub's own volume control down a bit (start around 1/4 from minimum) and then turn up the receiver's sub out volume. The problem may be that you don't have a strong enough signal coming in from the sub out and this should fix it.
    Use this method to recalibrate. If you find that you're having to turn up the receiver's sub out too high (close to max) to calibrate properly then turn it down slightly and turn up the sub's volume a little.
    This is the easiest thing to try before you start coming up with complex work arounds.
    Brian

3. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Brian,
    Oops, I think I left out one key detail: My receiver is an older ('94?) Yamaha RX-V870, which is only a DPL capable receiver. There is no level control on the sub out (that I can find), and it's a fixed 200Hz crossover. The only control I have over the sub is the built-in gain control on the sub itself.
    Sorry for the confusion, and hopefully someday I'll be able to solve this by buying a DD/DTS capable receiver!
    -Brett.
    [Edited last by Brett_H on November 12, 2001 at 01:43 PM]

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Brett,
    Ya know, I started to ask if your receiver had a sub out but just assumed it did. Well, we know what assume means don't we...
    Brian
    P.S. Sorry I couldn't help!

5. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

What you want to do is pretty straightforward. Get yourself a 120VAC triggered relay and base (and probably a small electrical box to house this stiff in too). Make sure it can handle 120 VAC, 10 or 15 amps (check you sub for its max draw).
    Power the relay from your receiver's switched outlet.
    Run the power for the sub through the relay's switched contacts, and leave the sub manually switched on. You can either run only the hot lead for the sub power through the relay, or you can run both through it if you get a 2, 3 or 4 position relay.
    They might have these things at Home Depot or Lowes. If not, try an electrical supply store, or somewhere like Grainger or Newark Electronics. For a relay, a base socket, and some power cords and wire, you are probably looking at $20-40.
    BB

6. David_M_

David_M_ Auditioning

7. Chris Eriksen

Chris Eriksen Stunt Coordinator

Sears makes a current-controlled switch that works very well for this application. I have used it many times, and it sells for $20. Plug your receiver into one outlet, plug the sub into the other outlet, and leave the sub on. The sub will turn on and off with the receiver.
    To see the item, go to http://www.sears.com

8. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like the Sears unit might do the trick, I'll have to check it out.

-Brett.