Using RCVR preouts to separate amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dan Sloane, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Dan Sloane

Dan Sloane Extra

Hi everyone, this is a great forum. My ? is... If I use my rcvr preouts to a separate multichannel amp then can I also use the rcvr amps for rooms 2 and 3 with less demanding speakers. eg. Denon5803 or B&K507 with B&K 7870 or other 7 channel amp for main room with ML Aeriusi L/R, ML theatre C, M&K S150 for all the surrounds. Then a less demanding speaker for stereo in rooms 2 and 3 for less critical listening. Does this work?

2. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

I can't say for the Denon but that won't work on my Kenwood recv b/c as soon as I remove the jumpers from the pre-out/main in the internal amp no longer gets signal. I guess you could rig up a 'Y' adaptor with one end going into the main-in and the other to the amp to make this work.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yes – the jumper feeds the signal into the amp. A “y” adapter would do the trick to feed an outboard amp and the internal amp at the same time. You’ll need a female to two males “y”.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Dan Sloane

Dan Sloane Extra

Thanks guys, I should clarify that I want to use the rcvr amps for zone 2 & 3 with different source inputs. I hope I am making sense, ie movie in the main room and maybe cd in zone 2 etc.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You’ll have to have a Zone 2 output for that. It would route back into input of the vacant amp channels.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt