Using RCA jack switcher as a component video switcher

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jeremy Allin, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

OK, feel free just to say, "Look, it's not going to work, so stop trying!". [​IMG]

I have an RCA brand composite video/s-video switcher that's a few years old. I tried to hook it up as a component video switcher. I hooked my HD cable box and DVD player up to it with component cables. I tried every combination of the RGB wires and managed to get a picture with Green > yellow video; Blue > white audio; Red > red audio into and out of the switcher. However, the colours were all messed up. Most of the other combinations resulted in no picture at all.

So with the DVD player for example, I had it hooked up in this way to the switcher, and then another set of component cables going from the switcher to the TV (in the same configuration). Obviously, the cables out from the DVD player and into the TV are hooked up to their appropriate, component video RBG colours.

I got the same results with the DVD player (480p) and the HD box (1080i).

I'm guessing that the RCA jacks in the switcher do not have a high enough bandwidth to accommodate the signals?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You got it.

Many of those old Left/Right/Video switch box's dont pay any attention to maintaining the 75 ohm pathway. With higher video frequencies - the larger the problems. (Think of a speed-bump at 5 mph, and at 50 mph).

3. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

Thanks for confirming, Bob. [​IMG]