Using progressive and composite simultaneously?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveK-mn, Feb 24, 2003.

1. SteveK-mn

SteveK-mn Auditioning

I am replacing a Toshiba 5109 because I need a universal player with progressive scan that will provide more features for music such as CD-R, CD-RW, 5 disc changer. Since I often play DVD’s to both my 55” Mits and a second TV in a game room, I need a player that can output the progressive signal and the composite signal at the same time. The Toshiba can do this but several of the players I was considering cannot. What gives? I just bought a Yamaha DVD-C920 because the sales guy said it would work – but it doesn’t. As soon as you turn on the progressive output, the composite signal stops.
    By the way - Shelf space is at a premium – so getting a separate CD player is a last resort.

Any suggestions or player recommendations?

DVD/CD requirements:
    - price < $450 US
    - very good picture quality – progressive scan
    - output progressive and composite signals simultaneously
    - very good music quality – digital coax output
    - 5 disc changer
    - CD-R, CD-RW, (MP3 optional)
    - Quiet, speedy disk changes

My system:
    - Mitsubishi 55” 16:9 diamond
    - Toshiba 5109
    - Sunfire Theater Grand I pre/pro
    - Sunfire Signature 2 channel amp
    - Marantz 5 channel amp
    - Paradigm Studio 100, CC, surrounds

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

My Panny CP-72 will output progressive scan via component video and interlaced via S-video simultaneously, so I presume it will do interlaced via composite and progressive via component also.

It is a 5 disc changer, fairly quiet while playing but you can hear it access different parts of the disc. I don't know what you consider a fast disc change, but it's faster than my JVC dvd changer was. (the JVC would not do progressive and interlaced at the same time, btw.).

Doesn't have coax digital output, optical only.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

My Panasonic RP-91 outputs both progressive via component and interlaced via s-video simultaneously, so I assume it will output interlaced composite, too (I do not have a composite cable connected to verify).

4. SteveK-mn

SteveK-mn Auditioning

Thanks for the suggestions on the Panasonic players. I was hoping to find something with a little higher music and build quality than the CP72. Are there no other players that can do this. I have found that this question trips alot of sales people. They think their players can do both and when we try it - they can't.

Maybe I should continue to use my Toshiba 5109 for movies and get a CD-changer. Any thoughts?