Using PC speakers for HT

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DavidCooper, Mar 1, 2005.

1. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

Yeah I know it sounds super cheesy....but I would like to have something better than my TV's built in speakers for our bedroom watching. I don't want a full blown 5.1 system or a HTIB due to space and WAF. She has let me go crazy with out main HT in the living room so a bedroom "system" would be out of the question.

I would at least like something better sounding for bedroom DVD and TV watching. What about using a 2.1 PC speaker system for better sound? I also ran across that zvox speaker system and that looks interesting as well.

So, my question is.....has anyone done this? If so...how are the results? Also, how did you hook it all up?

Thanks in advance!

2. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd advise to get either decent inwalls or something like the Nht Xu-series speakers and adding a sub to the mix.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Depends on your PC speakers. The low end only have single drivers and about 10 watts per channel – i.e., pretty similar to your typical TV speakers.

Naturally, you can get better sound if you use good-quality PC speakers. The best way to hook them up would be directly to the DVD player’s L/R outputs, using some adapters.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt