Using PC as PVR unit for high def

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jeffrey Beal, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Jeffrey Beal

Jeffrey Beal Agent

Hello all,

I could us some help I am planning on using my pc for a PVR unit and recording the streaming high def signal onto my hard drive I do realize that the high def will eat up alot of hd space and for that I will be getting a 200 gig hd for now and adding more later. Does anyone have any insight into there experience in doing the same as I am planning Thanks

- Jeff

2. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

3. Jeffrey Beal

Jeffrey Beal Agent

Jeff,

Thanks for the info I have read a few threads posted about the topic and yet I also know that its not the norm for most people to use there PC as there PVR I have heard of your fcc ban and I am willing to take action before that time frame in order to secure a card for myself. I have read ariticles about the ATI hdtv card and yet not about any others I would like to see another company release such a card and not be so limited to one company alone for such a thing. Any other info will help thanks.

- Jeff

4. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I read a review (I think it was on Anandtech.com) that said the ATI HDTV card would only work if you had an ATI video card.
    This link has lots of info: AVS HDTV Card Buyer's Guide. (It seems that the initial post was last updated in April, though.) There are lots of other threads on AVS forum on this subject, too.

I haven't bought one of these cards yet (still trying to decide on one), so I don't have any first hand experience.

5. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

What is your hi-def source?
    If it is OTA there are the ATI and MyHD cards.
    If you get your hi-def from digital cable the FusionHD3 seems to work with QAM signals.

There are lengthy threads about all 3 of these cards in the Home Theater Computers section at AVS.