What's new

Using PC as a HT receiver (1 Viewer)

JonathanJB

Auditioning
So far I have a Pioneer DVD player and Philips Widescreen TV.

I'm considering building a dedicated PC with the right components to function as a:

* Digital TV receiver/decoder
* Dolby 5.1 receiver/decoder (e.g Sound Blaster Extigy)
* DVD burner/copier

Besides the obvious disadvantage - that a PC is bloody noisy - how well will a PC perform each of these functions ?
What will the sound quality be like ?

I was considering an entry-level Pioneer or Yamaha receiver, and perhaps to buy a Digital TV decoder in the next year or two. Maybe I can save some money this way.

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator
I would not use the Extigy for a home theater, the sound quality is horrible out of the box. I updated the drivers and the surround sound is still horrible with a pair of Megaworks 550. Oh yeah and its USB 1.1 so you will most likely get some kind of distortion in the sound as I did while your cpu is crunching.

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
Creative Lab's Audigy-2 handles Dolby Digital-EX and has a THX Seal. Considering the noisy environment presented by a PC, the sound is surprisingly good; however, not in the same league with more expensive receivers. If you add a tv-tuner pci-card (Hauppage even has one with an FM-stereo tuner), your pc can do a passable job of managing ht (for the computer room).

Marty

Nathan Smith

Agent
Creative OWNS THX guyz they bought it from Lucas Films or whatever hes called...

so i would not be jumping up and down about them giving themselves their own seal of approval

there is a rather long thread on the avscience forum about this sombody did it and it could not compare ... not yet anyway

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
A HTPC can be great as a media player, but personally I feel its not matured enough to be a full fledged prepro, much less a receiver. In fact, it will never be able to function as a receiver since it has no amplification. Even functioning as a prepro is hard if you're talking about audio/video switching.

However, a HTPC does has its uses. I use mine to as a DVD/CD player/video scaler/media jukebox/TV tuner/digital VCR/among other things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks