What's new

Using "Old" SVS Drivers for Car Sub? (1 Viewer)

Joshua Chen

Auditioning
I was reading the " What Kind Of Car Subwoofer Setup Do You Have?" and it mentioned the SVS as a car subwoofer, which got me thinking about getting a car subwoofer.

Given that there are a number of "old" SVS drivers that people are trading in for the "new" SVS drivers, I was thinking that might a cost-effective way to get a nice driver and have a bit of money to get an enclosure & some cheap amp to go with it. I read about someone doing something like this, but I can't find the post again, so I thought to just ask.

My question is:

Is this even feasible to get old-SVS Driver/enclosure/amp for $200? (I've never dealt with a car sub, building enclosures, etc, etc...)

Anyone upgrading to the new svs driver want to sell me their old svs driver if my idea isn't a crazy one?

Josh.

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Josh,

The tough part in that budget is the amplifier. It depends on what sort of deal you can find. I would check out used amplifiers. I would say a goal of $300-350 or so would be more attainable. You also need to figure power wiring, finishing off the box, connections, etc.

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Joshua, I am considering the same thing. I recently upgraded my 20-39pc svs and now have the spare driver kicking around. Svs was kind enough to offer a refund/rebate for the old driver if returned to them, but I figured my shipping costs from Canada might just eat most of the rebate. So maybe I could upgrade my 5yr. old JL Audio 10 inch sub in my truck. I would need a new enclosure but I'm already wired for the sub. My question is: What ohm rating are the SVS drivers? I checked with an ohm meter and got a reading of 3.5 to 4. Is that right?
Hope I'm not hi-jacking your thread. ;)
Steve

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The SVS driver is rated at four ohm. For a close match on the T/S parameters, look at the 1201 over at Link Removed. The XMAX is lower on the SVS because BPD upgraded their drivers the same time SVS did. The same manufacturer supplies both companies. For an example of the old SVS in a car, look here.
-Robert

Joshua Chen

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies! I think I have made up my mind to try to find a old svs driver from someone who upgraded, and build an enclosure for it. Seems like the cheapest way to go.
I'll probably change the budget for the driver + enclosure at $200 and try to find an amp and associated wiring for another $200. Thanks for giving me a little bit of reality. :)
Now I just have to find someone who'll part with their old svs driver. :)
Josh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks