Using old speakers for home theater

rxmart

Auditioning
Real Name
Rich Martone
I have a pair of Polk Model 10 speakers that still work quite well. I'd like to use them for a home theater setup in my basement. Does it matter what type of center channel speaker to match with these, or would any do?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is a fine speaker from the days Polk still built for sound...instead of price(sadly the "build for price" isn't just limited to Polk).
Are these 10, 10A or Mk II? (depends on which tweeter is in them...the "newer" they are...the easier it is to find a speaker with a close enough tweeter. For the record, most people think the original uncoated Peerless sound the best though...)

rxmart

Auditioning
Real Name
Rich Martone
They are quite old. I looked on the back and it just said Polk Model 10

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You aren't going to "find" a center for them...regardless of what series these were...
But it can be done. My main theatre uses DCM TF600 and TF350 with a DCM coaxial center(forget the model at the moment). The TF like mine were made before surround sound. And, to boot, DCM never played in the Quadraphonic realm. It took 5 different DCM centers over the course of 3 years to find the one I ended up with...
Bought a couple via Fleabay, One was a pawn shop surprise and Audiogon supplied one. I had 3 of them at once, twice, swapping them in and out looking for the closest fit. Eventually I got the others sold off. I actually made a couple bucks on reselling one* of them.
That is what you are going to have to do. Start with centers from the "infancy" of center speaker itself...late 80s, early 90s.
*The one I made money from was a truly rare bird indeed. It was the pawn shop find and they thought it was an "early soundbar"...
Nope. Yamaha had come up with "twin center". A couple of speaker manufacturers jumped on that thinking it would go somewhere. This was a large flat box you could sit a 32" TV on(as in a tube tv). It had two sets of binding posts banded together. It could be ran as one...or ran "twin". Sold that one for a pretty penny to a guy that had a Crown "twin center" pre-amp.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Real Name
Wayne
Your best bet for matching a center channel with vintage speakers is to find (used) a smaller, lower-line offering in the same model series as yours. Typically they have the same tweeter and a smaller version of the same woofer, which means their voicing will be pretty much the same as the larger speaker.
In the case of your Model 10’s, the later Monitor 10’s appear to be pretty much the same speaker, but with a different tweeter. In that line there’s a Monitor 4.5 and Monitor 4.6 that’s a two-way bookshelf speaker. It appears to have a similar tweeter to the Model 10 and should sound similar enough to be usable as a center channel. ebay is a good source for vintage speakers and parts.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
This looks like the tweeter that came in the Model 10's, the SL-2000. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Polk-Tweeter-for-Monitor-Series-Speakers-/261131831710?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3cccab899e
There's also some 6" drivers that (and matching crossover) that came in some 1991 Polk speakers. But piecing together a center speaker from vintage parts is probably a bit of a hassel so maybe a decent Polk center speaker from the late 1990's work work well enough.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
attlasrex