using old receiver as amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by AndrewKra, Jan 11, 2005.

1. AndrewKra

AndrewKra Agent

I have a dav-bc150 home theater in a box and I am getting a new receiver for it but The problem is that my subwoofer isnt self powered. In a different thread I was told that I could use the receiver that came with as the amp for the subwoofer. Does anyone know how I would go about doing this?? the only ports for the sub on my old receiver is a + and - output.

2. John S

John S Producer

You would need to run the RCA sub out from the new AVR to a line level RCA input on the old system, only hook up the sub. Thsi will yeild mixed results, as a line in, and a power amp in are not really the same.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Run the sub pre-out from the new receiver to any anlog input on the old reciever, then run the +/- from that channel on the old receiver to the sub.

4. Oachalon

Oachalon Stunt Coordinator

I am using a 30 year old akai receiver to power my tempest sub that i built. Thing runs the sub like a champ. Those receivers were so underrated compared to the receivers today. The receiver has a lot of power. Mine works fine so you shouldnt have any problems. Good Luck.

5. Paul Mor

Paul Mor Stunt Coordinator

I posted the same reply on another thread so forgive me if that is out of line. I'm running Polk Lsi7's with an HK 7200 and want to bi-amp the speakers. I have two older receivers (a Kenwood and an Onkyo). Could I use either of these to bi-amp my system, and if so, how would I hook it up?

Thanks for any advice.

Paul

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You'd have to find out if you can simultaneously use the pre-outs and the main amp channels at the same time. Then, I'd drive the mids off the 7200 and the tweeters off the other amp. You run main pre-outs to the other receiver and hook the tweeters to that (stereo, full range, no bass management on the second receiver). It should work, but I wouln't say it's going to be the best sounding setup.