Using my CRT in portrait mode - Warning: very geeky!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Bob Movies, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine bought an LCD flat panel with a pivot feature that allows you to view the monitor in both portrait and landscape mode. I really liked the portrait mode, so much that I tipped over my non-pivoting Samsung Syncmaster 950p monitor so it would function the same way.

[​IMG]

I made a 10 minute website with screenshots that demonstrate the advantages in case anyone else is interested in doing it. I'm really enjoying the extra real-estate. I just use my computer for typing and Internet browsing, so this extra-tall mode is very useful.

http://www.bobbarlen.com/monitor/

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Neat! I also recommend dual monitors. A great way to get extra screen space.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Uh Bob, I think we need to go over a little thing called OAR.

4. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

Bob, wouldn't be as geeky, if you took off the darn pedestal!!! Thats funny. [​IMG]

5. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

If I set up multiple monitors, I'd have two that were turned on their sides like this... now that would be the ultimate setup! Well, OK, I guess a 23" LCD would be the true ultimate setup, but it's out of my price range right now!

Scott - I tried watching a DVD with the monitor twisted... there were very prominent black bars! Maybe I should start buying those discs that say "No black bars" on them? [​IMG] I don't watch DVD's on my computer, but I guess this could be an issue for people who do.

Juan: Thanks for the tip! I didn't know that thing came off! The geek factor has been turned down a notch.

6. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

now that is pretty damn funny. i couldn't do it. glad it works for you.

i actually have 2 crt monitors and my laptop screen 'networked' to give me plenty of real estate. this is with my laptop and a desktop networked.

next week I will add a 2nd desktop and another monitor. i can run all the computers with remote desktop at the same time and control everything with a single keyboard and mouse.

i guess i am a geek too.