What's new

Using my Cingular PDA to control my house... (1 Viewer)

Vivek_IVB

Stunt Coordinator
Got a Cingular 8125 PDA/cellphone today with the unlimited PDA data plan [ie, blackberry plan equivalent]. This is mostly for work purposes, but wife also wants a way to monitor house/CCTV away from home, probably to make sure I didn't screw up the Elk security panel install.

I was researching ways to connect to my CQC instance [ie, logmein] when their CEO reminded me that the CQC DotNetViewer uses XML to communicate with the server, meaning that I can just port-forward the CQC XML server to my external IP address, and hit it directly [ie, no 3rd party sofware]. Plus, I can use DDNS via dyndns.com so that I can use an english name that'll follow my external IP if my router resets.

In laymans terms, I told the CQC PDA viewer to hit Viveks_House.dyndns.org:12345 [not the real name I picked, and 12345 isn't really my CQC server].

I created some regular 320x240 interfaces, and loaded some new fonts on the cellphone so I could use cooler fonts than what came with it. I think I used too many pics, cuz performance is a little slow, but that could be my plaster/lathe house too. I get really horrid service in my house. I'll try again tomorrow from my office in downtown SF, which obviously has fantastic coverage.

I can now do the following thing from any location my phone gets service:
- Check status of Elk, arm&disarm if need be.
- Check motion sensors
- Check HVAC, turn heat/fan up or down!! [that's really cool]

I still have to do some more testing, also still have to create some more interfaces, but not bad for 1.5 hours of work. In theory, I could use this to control anything in my house that's hooked up to the network, ie receiver/TV/DVD/... Honestly, i'm strongly contemplating doing just that so that when the grandparents come over to babysit, they can call me and i'll start a DVD for them.

Check it out. Looks pretty decent.

Vivek_IVB

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. The wife was pretty juiced when I told her about the "turn on the HVAC from this when we're 15mins from home" thing.

I also realized I could install the CQC Desktop DotNetViewer at her parent's house. She goes there 1-2x/week with the kids, so now she can just use her parents PC to do the same thing from there when she's about to leave.

And I don't have to get a matching his/her 8125 Cingular PDA set for $400 each...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks