Using my Cingular PDA to control my house...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Vivek_IVB, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Vivek_IVB

Vivek_IVB Stunt Coordinator

Got a Cingular 8125 PDA/cellphone today with the unlimited PDA data plan [ie, blackberry plan equivalent]. This is mostly for work purposes, but wife also wants a way to monitor house/CCTV away from home, probably to make sure I didn't screw up the Elk security panel install.

I was researching ways to connect to my CQC instance [ie, logmein] when their CEO reminded me that the CQC DotNetViewer uses XML to communicate with the server, meaning that I can just port-forward the CQC XML server to my external IP address, and hit it directly [ie, no 3rd party sofware]. Plus, I can use DDNS via dyndns.com so that I can use an english name that'll follow my external IP if my router resets.

In laymans terms, I told the CQC PDA viewer to hit Viveks_House.dyndns.org:12345 [not the real name I picked, and 12345 isn't really my CQC server].

I created some regular 320x240 interfaces, and loaded some new fonts on the cellphone so I could use cooler fonts than what came with it. I think I used too many pics, cuz performance is a little slow, but that could be my plaster/lathe house too. I get really horrid service in my house. I'll try again tomorrow from my office in downtown SF, which obviously has fantastic coverage.

I can now do the following thing from any location my phone gets service:
    - Check status of Elk, arm&disarm if need be.
    - Check motion sensors
    - Check HVAC, turn heat/fan up or down!! [that's really cool]

I still have to do some more testing, also still have to create some more interfaces, but not bad for 1.5 hours of work. In theory, I could use this to control anything in my house that's hooked up to the network, ie receiver/TV/DVD/... Honestly, i'm strongly contemplating doing just that so that when the grandparents come over to babysit, they can call me and i'll start a DVD for them.

Check it out. Looks pretty decent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Vivek:

That is really cool.

3. Vivek_IVB

Vivek_IVB Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. The wife was pretty juiced when I told her about the "turn on the HVAC from this when we're 15mins from home" thing.

I also realized I could install the CQC Desktop DotNetViewer at her parent's house. She goes there 1-2x/week with the kids, so now she can just use her parents PC to do the same thing from there when she's about to leave.

And I don't have to get a matching his/her 8125 Cingular PDA set for $400 each...