Using Mac as HTPC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Max Knight, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

Is anyone here using a Mac as a HTPC? I'm considering getting into a FPTV setup (finances and new apartment willing), and rather than spend a bunch of cash building a Windows PC for DVD playback (I have no interest in getting back into the Windows world), I was wondering if it would be possible to slap a DVD drive and a digital audio card into my Quicksilver G4 and use that to drive a projector.

So, any Mac HTPC users out there? What software do you use? Does the Apple DVD player provide the required scaling capabilities? How do you like your setup?

Thanks,

2. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    As a fellow Mac user, all I can say is this:

You're wasting your time.

Edit: I should probably elaborate.

The Mac doesn't have the tools the PC has, and it doesn't have the flexibility. It doesn't support digital output (apparently some third party hardware box was just released which does this), but the Apple DVD player just does NOT do the things that TheaterTek and PowerDVD do. Maybe these tools will come out in time, but today it's a waste.

I guess it depends on your setup. I'm a Mac-head, and I tried, and the PC just wins hands-down.

Mike

3. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

Hmmm... sad to hear that. In that case, what sort of budget am I looking at to build/buy a HTPC? I've done some research on the buying front, but it looks a bit pricey. To be honest, it's rather intimidating!

How's the stability? Does your HTPC crash during movies with any regularity?

4. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I'll let others post about price because my PC does many different things.

XP hasn't ever crashed on me at home. I first installed it in October.

Mike

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I would say you could build a decent HTPC with core components for around $1000. With current AMD chip prices at all time lows, you might be able to do better.

I have never had a crash (I take that back- once but this was due to a fan I forgot to reconnect so the system overheated). If you run the machine correctly (HTPC exclusive, no extra stuff, no 3rd party poorly written apps)- then you syhould have zero issues.

-vince

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Vince,
    Totally off topic but I've always wondered: just what is a "knob jockey". It sound neat but I'm ignorant in that respect. [​IMG]

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Kind of a long story- it's essentially an inside joke with a friend and myself. We are sound engineers who provide sound systems, often, for national artists touring without production (in other words, they're not carrying a PA system with them).

Often, these big bands do carry with them an engineer to serve as their main mixing engineer... and typically these guys act like rockstars (since they travel "with" the band, and get the same hotel and airline treatment)- and this guy rolls in with an anvil briefcase and sunglasses and 3 pagers and 2 cell phones and basically acts like a stereotypeical hollywood dickhead you see in the movies. So, my friend coined the term "Hollywood Knob Jockey" to describe these too-hip-for-their-own-good sound guys...

So, periodically we will jokingly refer to one another by this title if the other is not carrying his load on a show, or whatever. One christmas I got him a cheesy denim jacked with the title stitched on the pocket...

So anyway, it's just a bad inside joke I chose to share with the world.

-V