Using JBL s26 as surrounds ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Mar 1, 2002.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I'm in the market for a pair of surround speakers for under $200. The jbl s26 has caught my attention for the price (I enjoy the S-center already)I think they're a good choice at the price, can anyone input there experiance with these speakers or other ones at that price range ?

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

I just bought four JBL S26 and one S-Center (received Monday night / Sub = 200w AudioSource SW15 - Video Essentials REF Calibrated), and I'm still evaluating them (DD/DTS Movie & Music DVD's etc. [​IMG]). After I installed the rear channel S26 speakers (Wednesday night), my 1st impression was, . . . how much bigger! the JBL S26's were vs. my JBL N24's (NSP1 package).
    My initial sonic impressions was, . . . it's virtually like my original JBL NSP1 (April 2000) HT package setup, exhibiting all the familiar excellent imaging, wide frequency transparency, and Cinema Theater dynamics I'm use to (if not more)!!
    As they break-in, the S-Series pure-Titanium 1" tweeter ups the overall "JBL Theater Sound" ante, with exceptional resolution, transient response and clarity! Basically, the S-Series pure-Titanium 1" tweeter shares the same balanced characteristics and transient response of the JBL N24's, but improves on the crispness and high-end detail (though, I must admit, the majority of consumers, including my family and friends, might not notice the difference!)
    Direct comparison between the JBL S26's vs. JBL N24's made me appreciate the N24's even more, . . . with it's midrange, ability to keep up with complex musical scores and price point! No wonder Brent Butterworth wrote about the N24's "Every singer I listened to sounded better even than on a lot of good $1000/pair speakers." Well, the JBL S26 actually improves on the much-lauded and impressive JBL N24's! (The JBL NSP1's is a keeper - going up to my vacation house!)
    Phil

3. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

So, should I save some bucks and go for the N26 ?...Would they sound bad when I'm listining to music in 5 channel stereo ? (an Onkyo DSP mode).

4. Phil Iturralde

5. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I'm not using JBL's as mains (I have towers)so that's not really the issue with me. My question is, sonically is there a $100 difference between the n26 and the s26 ?

6. Phil Iturralde

7. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I am using S26s for surrounds and I am VERY happy with them. Think about mounting and placement, these are bigger and heavier than many other bookshelf speakers.

-Chris

8. Marcelo T

Marcelo T Stunt Coordinator

I tested both in my setup and the s26 is worth every penny over the n26. The highs are more detailed (the n26 tweeter is more harsh, and produce a slight hiss), the midbass is way better on the s26. The finish is way better in the s-series, the binding post are gold plated, against a cheap plastic post used on the n, the s-cabinet is MDF, and the N is cheap plastic. It´s a no brainer, actually. Go s-series all around. I have a s-38, s-center and a s-26 as surrounds. For the money, they are very hard to beat.

9. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I'm thinking about getting JBL all around, I already have the S-center and just bought today the s26 for surrounds. But I have these great towers (pinnacle classic gold towers)that I consider would be a downgrade....I'm still thinking.

10. Jeff Sch.

Jeff Sch. Stunt Coordinator

I have A whole JBL Northridge setup I built in December

I have N-26 fronts , N24 Rears, Vr-507 reci. ,Ncenter and Sawm40 sub

This all is in a dorm room and let me tell you, they are great. I can crank up my 100 watt a channel reciever and not one hint of distortion at all. If you are using these for rears i would advise not to spend the extra money on the S series. Since the main portion of sound is coming from the fronts, you wont really be able to notice the differnce in the backs btween the "N" and "S". The reason is your backs are not constanly recieving sound. Its up to you but I would grab a pair of N24(JandR.com $99 Free shipping) which includes mounts or a pair of N26(JandR.com $139 Free shipping). Hope i helped

11. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Jeff, the N26's are pretty tempting at Jandr. I'll keep everyone posted on my final decision. I would consider the N series as surrounds becuase it's not that critical.

12. Phil Iturralde

13. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Phil, you're right. That's a very good observation/explanation, thanks for the input...[​IMG]