Using High pass plate amp filter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Tsutsui, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Well I just got AOTC and I am just about fed up with my FIXED receiver crossover setting which is at 540hz. The problem was I was hearing Natalie Portman's voice coming from the tempests which is not good.
    So my solution was to use the high pass 125hz filter on my PE #300-794 plate amps. I have 2 tempests so I'm using one for each main... I assume this is the best way to wire the dual subs as I have them stereo positioned.
    My question is if the high pass 6db 125hz crossover is fixed.. then that means I only adjust the variable 40-160hz low pass crossover?
    Is there anything wrong with stereo subs playing 125hz? I don't know if I want to set the crossover that high but it's probably a lot better than a 540hz crossover point! [​IMG] I think it would actually be ok with the 125hz because the subs are each placed next to each main so I should have NO problems with bass localization.. Any comments on this?
    If you see a problem.. then perhaps I could modify the parts express amp so that the high pass filter becomes 80hz. Is it simply a matter of swapping some a few parts like adjusting the bass boost?
    Oh, and if anyone can come across a Hercules Game theater XP driver that allows the adjustable crossover point let me know as I'll download it in a second. As of now I updated to the most recent version on the official site which now includes 7.1 processing... Yet it still has a crossover fixed at 540hz!!
    BTW, for clarification.. Do I adjust the LOW pass crossover on my plate amp to 125hz to match the high pass 125hz crossover point?

2. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

540 Hz?!?!?

How about combining the LFE thru the mains and sending the output to the 300-794's speaker level input? Then you could connect your mains to the 300-794's output, and you could have a less radical crossover setting.

3. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

the high pass is only for the speaker level pass through. the low pass is what will go to the amplifier in the plate amp and from there to your subs. since that plate amp has no way to disable the low pass crossover, you're probably already using it. So it seems odd that you're getting such high frequencies through your sub.

oh and what makes you think your receiver is crossing over so high? i've never heard of one that does that...