What's new

Using fullrange drivers (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Greg,
I believe MCM was selling the drivers at or near cost, which in TB's eyes, made them appear to be less than good quality drivers. I guess TB was afraid that the low prices would negatively affect their reputation. At least that's what I heard through the grapevine.
But what the hell do I know! :)
Brian

AllanRW

Second Unit
With out getting into the pricing.
As TB has never hit the market as a speaker available to others than a few company's.
TB has set out a pricing format for all of those to follow.
Every manufacture has a price list of some sort to follow.
TB, never had this till a few months ago.
All company's wanting to sell TB products had to agree to a sales pricing put in place from TB.
Nothing about the TB speakers looking CHEAP.
Just a fact that other company's would not sell TB products if a company who ever it be could sell at cents above cost.

MCM had a problem getting the product they wanted in the time they wanted.

As I found out myself it takes months to get the final product.Landed in Canada.

So in a nut shell you have a look into the past.

Al

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Brian was right. At least that was TB's reasoning as related to someone I know. But, this is getting off topic and it really doesn't matter why TB is cutting off MCM, if that's the case.

Back on course: TB has some very interesting products for small systems value.

Al, I read some of your forum posts and I look forward to your website enhancements. Seems like you guys have some great plans and are focusing on us D-I-Yers out here.

Too bad about the 10" woofer. I understand it didn't live up to the prerelease specs. Keep us posted if TB improves it to your liking. Best of luck with your company!

AllanRW

Second Unit
Just my endeavor now.
Rick is not involved with Nuera anylonger.

So I am one busy person now.

Al

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Al,

Can you give us the enclosure specs (HxWxD, internal volume, tuning frequency, port size, etc.) for both the ported MTM and the sealed enclosures?

Brian

AllanRW

Second Unit
The full rangers ran a BS using 8ohm, 1.2 18G
Sealed 12X6X8

The MTM 1st order Butterworth
3500hz on the low, on the high 2nd Butterworth
4000hz
High C1(4.7)L1(.33mH 20g) Lpad 2ohm,24Ohm
Low L2(.13mH 16G)
Zobel 3 Ohm,22uF
Baffel 4 Ohm, .6mH 18g
Ported 1.5" X 5"
With a insulated sides, top, bottom.

Measurements were taken before it was sent but not kept as this was not a final design yet.

But Ask Jeff Lam what he thinks.
The MTM turned out very well for not spending weeks designing a xover for this speaker.

Al

Cam S

Screenwriter
Allan, that one center channel picture in the previous post, would that make a good LR channel speaker for a computer audio system? What sort of changes would have to be made to it to work as a LR channel speaker? Also, how much of a difference in power handling and sound reproduction capabilities would there be between the 2 FR drivers and a tweeter, over just one FR driver?

AllanRW

Second Unit
The MTM will work without any changes to the xover as a main channel speaker.
This speaker will have way more highs and defined highs over the FR as it has ha tweeter.
And the off -axis response of the W4-657S falls flat off at 8000hz.So a tweeter is a must, for any off-Axis listening.
I have a design in the works using the W4-657S and the same tweeter in a MT,MTM and Di,Bipolar.The other tweeter I am using also in these designs is or can be the 28-847S.
A very stable off-axis tweeter.

So for a computer monitor yes the W4-657S in a MT, or MTM.
Some have purchased the W4-657S for a full range monitor and I have not got any comments about the use for a monitor.

Johns Boss Killers part #2 using our W3-871S is a very good monitor speaker and a smaller cabinet also.

Al

AllanRW

Second Unit
Yes, Pat All the drivers are off axis and not in line.
Rick Craig will have some designs for me in a few months that will have more detailed info on the complete designs.
A long with some drivers
W3-871S
W5-704S
W6-789S
Heading for prizes for the DIY2002
Link Removed
Al

Cam S

Screenwriter
Any chance that you'll offer XO's already made for some of these kits Allan, as I have never built a crossover before.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Good to hear Allan, I can't wait! The shipping charges are incredibly cheap too!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks