Using Four Tumults!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bone, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Chris Bone

Chris Bone Agent

I want to build a sub-woofer using four Tumults with eight 18" PR's in one enclosure. Any suggestions on size and driver configuration? Yes, I am serious. Any idea's will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

2. 150L per driver=600L

make an "PTP" (think MTM) with a PTP on each of the 4 vertical faces. neglecting volumes, you physically need a width minumum of about 22" and a hight minimum of about 60"

lets assume 1.5" walls with some cross bracing between the "drivers" and another top to bottom. If we assume that the braces, drivers, and PR's minus the cutouts net 50L displacement, then you need 650L

25"x25"x63.5" INTERNAL ought to do it fo you.

..works out to 28x28x66.5" external.

...do you have a forklift to move it around?

if you are legitimately serious, I would instead make 4x 24" cubes (1.5" walls) with a single tumult and pair of PRs each. Then stack them.

3. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

4. Chris Bone

Chris Bone Agent

I like the idea of four subs. How about using them stereo fasion with two stacks of two? Or can I build two enclosures using two tumults and four PR's each?

Chris

5. Chris Bone

Chris Bone Agent

By the way,

Would a sub-woofer utilizing the four Tumults be able to out-perform the new SVS B4-Plus?

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

With Sufficient power...I have no doubt.

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Listen to Anthony for specifics on net volume and tuning.
    Personally, as I mentioned in the PMs I'd like to see a pair of subs modelled after the Stryke 15.4 powercube design. Placed according to the recommendations of this article:
    http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=122
    The reason I like the 15.4 over the 15.2 is then not only do the PRs cancel their mechanical forces on the enclosure, but the drivers do as well. While the 15.4 won't be easy to move either, it will be a hell of a lot easier to move than two combined.

8. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

9. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

What about putting the Tumults into an IB setup similar to a smaller version of something like the "12 Shivas" model? I know the Tumult isn't built for IB, but if you aren't going to power them to the max, would it be an option?

10. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

You could divide the thing differently and get a totally balanced force configuration. Imagine a box that is tall and shallow with a PWP configuration on one face. Now build 4. Now stack with two of these on top of each other and two behind that. Bolt together the top half and the bottom half and then just stack the two. Yes, this will go all the way to the ceiling. You should listen to the warnings about structural damage. My 15.2 actually makes the slab vibrate, and that's one 15" and 1kw amp. 4 tumults + 4kw is a sure recipe for structural damage. You've been warned [​IMG]

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

From previous conversations with him an IB isn't an option.

12. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

This has got to be one of the sillier ideas, but what's amazing is that it should work. Have fun finding enough power to push a pair of twin Tumult subs (what is that, 3kwpc into 8 ohms stereo?)... On a more serious note, I suggest building a pair (not four) subs, with opposing sides containing a driver and two PR's. To get a shorter, fatter shape you could have PR's on all 4 sides then drivers on opposing sides above them. Either way you're looking at something very heavy and expensive, however 125db+ SPL will not be out of the question. What do you plan on tuning to?

Is your room OK with stereo subs (no major cancellations or anything)? Will you be driving them in stereo, will they be driven with the same signal and placed in opposite corners?

Perhaps you should be looking into DIY amps. There are kits for modules producing 1kw each into 4 ohms, you could perhaps use one for each driver and build the amps into the enclosure (now that would be cool). Or you can purchase 2-4 pro amps, which would be mondo expensive.

Anyway you slice it, this sounds like fun.

13. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Just wondering what your design goals are. What kind of spl are you trying to hit? extension? Four tumults would need some serious power. A couple of dedicated circuts? Also As I've found out A lot of things vibrate at high volumes. Your looking at 130db+ of headroom. I would do four seperate boxes. more flexability and if you find you don't need them all, you can sell them...to me[​IMG]

14. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

turn it on to a 25Hz tone
    and make your neighbors lose their BMs
    then get out of your house if you still have time
    you might be crushed by the falling house

Only run these subs on the ground floor of the house
    The upper floors might cave in

15. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

what ever you document it with multiple cameras from many different angels, and we can all bet to see when the house falls down.
    also if your going over the top, why not throw in some Krell Master Referances now that would be damn sexy
    heres a link for all of us to droll over,
    [​IMG]
    BTW why can't we post images in the forums?

16. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

17. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

1 Tumult and 2 PRs with 1400 watts will get you about 115 db at 21 hertz anechoic. 4 Tumults with 1400 watts per driver and 8 PRs should get you arrested (or 133 db anechoic at 21 hertz).

18. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

19. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Vince,
    See www.aussieamplifiers.com - amplifiers designed by Anthony Holton. I am nearing completion of a pair of his 400W symmetrical amplifiers. I don't know if he sells pre-made PCBs for the 1kw amp (you could get them custom made at a somewhat higher cost) but he does sell PCBs for his 800 watt amp at about $30 each. You just buy the necessary components from a place like Digikey, transformer and heatsinks plus other odds and ends from any number of other places, and you're good to go (I am going a bit overboard with my own project and the pair of 400W amps are coming out at cost of about $400). I've been told these amplifiers are of very high quality (will see for myself as soon as I finish my own)... and you can control the performance of your own amplifier by varying the power supply, bias current, and any other aspects of the design. It's good fun. Given that these appear to be typical "solid state brute" amplifiers they should be great for driving a subwoofer.