Using floorstanding speakers as surrounds?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom_Maher, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Tom_Maher

Tom_Maher Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered new speakers to replace my front mains and center channel. I am replacing floorstanding Sony mains (SS-AV44) and the matching Sony center (SS-CN15) (these also match my Sony rears (SS-SR15), which are quite small). I am upgrading to Klipsch RF-3IIs and an RC-3II. Unfortunately, at this time, I cannot add the Klipsch RS-3IIs for rears (they are too wide at 17" for my setup). This being the case, it is possible for me to move my current floorstanding speakers back to be used as rears. Is this feasible? Would using my current floorstanding speakers as surrounds be a better alternative than continuing to use my current tiny Sony ones? Additionally, I do plan to move my existing center channel speaker to the back of the room, for a 6.1 setup. Also, both speakers would have to be raised about 2-3 feet off of the ground, so they fire over my couch, and would be on the left and right sides of my couch, firing toward the listening position. This being the case, I can't really test them until I buy or construct some stands. Should I go out and grab/build some stands and try this, or just stick with my current surrounds? Thanks for the help!

2. Mitch E S

Mitch E S Stunt Coordinator

Tom,
    As surround speakers I think it would be OK to turn the RS3's 90 degrees. Just a thought...

Mitch

BTW.. Mine are the orignal RS3s and I just measured them (19.5" x 8.5") are they making them smaller now?

3. Tom_Maher

Turning them 90 degrees might be an option, but knowing that I couldn't fit them in, I didn't set aside an extra $800 for the 4 rears, to get 7.1 (or even $400 for one set). Additionally, I was under the impression that the RS-3IIs were designed specifically for 180 degree output, and turning them sideways would pretty much negate that. Am I misunderstood about that? Thanks for the suggestion though.

4. Tom_Maher

Anyone have any thoughts on this?