What's new

using existing coax (1 Viewer)

scphantm

Auditioning
Real Name
Willie
im in the process of putting a system together. the thing is i don't want all the components cluttered around my TV. is there a way where i can take the dvd player, plug it into the coax cable on one side of the room and have the tv on the other side of the room pull the signal from the coax without interfearing with my cable?

i live in an apartment with hardwood floors on top of concrete so running my own cable from one side of the room to the other is a bit difficult.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Most DVD players don’t have a coax output.

It will probably be much more satisfactory if you collocate your TV and DVD player.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Even if you find the rare DVD player with an RF output, you can't diplex it with analog cable. The channel 3/4 output of the DVD player will interfere with channel 2 through 5 of cable. Also, RF output from any device (cable box, sat receiver, VCR, game console, etc) is the WORST quality connection available to you.

-Robert

scphantm

Auditioning
Real Name
Willie
i wasn't really thinking analog. cable companies run digital over coax as a point of business now, broadband internet, digital cable, digital phones, all running over coax. i was just hoping that someone somewhere came up with a system where i have a breakout box of some kind on one side of the coax in my house and a breakout box on the other side to send the signal from one to the other digitally.

ive been out of this hobby for over 10 years now so im a bit behind, but if this doesn't exist, i would be surprised.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are no analog video/audio to digital converters on the consumer market. There is very little need for them. There are some similar converters that come with high end video projectors ($10,000+) but they are video only.

Even something that you could use existed at a decent price, you would have to check with the cable company to see what frequencies they use since there could not be an overlap if you try to share the same coax.

-Robert

campark43

Grip
Real Name
Campbell Park
Have a look at DVD recorders, as long as it will output the dvd and cable signal out the coax output that is all you need.

It's probably your cheapest and easiest solution.

Cheers,

ChameleonAudio.ca

chuckg

Supporting Actor
campark, that won't work if there is already a cable company signal on the cable...

The real answer is to put the player near the tv, or to run a separate, proper video cable from one side of the room to the other.

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
OK.

Think about it this way. The Coax cables that are running through your house carry Hidef Video, with sound.

Try This. you can pick up the stuff you need at good ole radio shack.

You will need a coax to RCA adaptor and 2 "Y" connectors with one female and two males. Plug one on the RCA then the othe Y on one of the male ends. That way you will have 3 ends that will take your, VIDEO and AUDIO. and do the same on the other end.

I tried this approach with LOOOOOONNNGGGG subwoofer runs with a PAIR of RCAs on each end when I installed huge systems . It should work with your set up. It should only cost you 10-15 dollars tops.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Mark, your description doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying to use Y adaptors to combine video and audio on the same cable? Dude, this will not work.

Folks, the OP suggests that there is already a cable company signal on the cable. There's no reasonable way to use the cable for something else at the same time....

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
When I was driving to work the day after I wrote this I thought that when I was running coax for long sub runs I ws only sending audio ( which worked very well) But It wont work with the Video. Sorry Dude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks