Using DTS-ES (6.1) on a 5.1 Setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris-R, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Chris-R

Chris-R Auditioning

Howdy.

Arguably, DTS is better than Dolby Digital. Granted, this is a matter of personal preference, but hopefully my question can still be answered.

I have a 5.1 setup. Whenever given the option of DTS on my DVDs, I usually prefer it. Some of my DVDs support Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS ES (6.1). When faced with this option, should I use DD 5.1 because my setup is 5.1? Or, if I prefer DTS, should I use DTS ES?

And more generally, what are the effects of a 6.1 audio track on a 5.1 system versus that of a 5.1 audio track on a 5.1 system?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

/cjr

2. Vinny Petronio

Vinny Petronio Stunt Coordinator

Chris,

This is a very good Question for which I do not have the answer, I would have to assume that the dts es mode would reflect only what you would hear in 5.1 and the signal to your rears would be split between the two this is just a guess and I hope there is someone out there that can answer this question for my sake as well as yours.:b

3. Joe6pack99

Joe6pack99 Second Unit

Well if you have a "standard" 5.1 setup selecting a movie that says DTS-ES whether being matrixed or DTS-ES Discrete will not matter since DTS audio track on there will still be a 5.1 track. DTS-ES is really just 5.1 that matrixes sound info from your rears to the extra back channel. DTS-ES Discrete is a 6.1 format but it will not affect you at all by using a 5.1 setup as the back rears have their own independant track on the disc for pre/pro's that can decode them. Hope that helps [​IMG]

4. Vinny Petronio

Vinny Petronio Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Jarrett,

I figured as much thanks for clarifying this.