Using Dishnet to watch Directv

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by kumar, Nov 1, 2005.

1. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

Tried to find a direct answer (Yes or NO) in many places but couldnt find a clear cut answer.

Here I am with my (crazy?) idea. I have a dishnetwork dish for international programming. Can I (after pointing in the right direction) watch direct tv programming using this dish? Borrowing a direct tv reciever is a posibility for me but dont know if it would work. What are the options I have without having to purchase a direct tv dish or receiver and using the existing dishnet to watch selected sports program from directtv.

thanks
    Kumar.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    There's no clear cut answer because Dish uses a variety of equipment. If you have a Dish300 (standard 18" dish) with regular LNB (not a DishPro model), then yes you can re-aim it to DirecTV's 101 satellite location and connect it to a DirecTV receiver.

-Robert

3. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

I have a Dish500. I am seeing lot of Direc TV LNBs on eBay site that are in expensive....

May be I should try it that way then?

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Your Dish500 should be pointed at the 110 and 119 locations. I thought you needed a second dish pointed at 61.5 or 148 to get international programming. You can use your Dish500 if it has 2 dual LNB's. The Twin, Quad or DishPro LNB's aren't compatible.

-Robert

5. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

Robert Thanks for your feedback.....

I have a Dish 500 for international programming for now. I may be discontinuing it for a while to watch Cricket which is shown in DirecTv. I have the liberty to repoint the Dish to 110, 119.

Will something like this work?

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/LNBFS/DIRECTV-LNBF.htm

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    The $39 LNB will work. The $29 Sat-C LNB is a special LNB used on older multi-sat dish setups for the DirecTV satellite at 110. It will not work.

I'd check eBay. Search for dual LNB and you will find them for under $15 shipped.

-Robert